Notices

#6 Drive

Old 09-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Anything can be tweaked over time to work, but you need to decide how bad you want it. I promise you the money and time spent on new territory sometimes just isn't worth it. Of course hind-site is always 20/20.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Tunnel Vision ran strong with a 800 Hawk and a #4 SSM on a box. I did remember hearing it swapped ends a couple times , but these guys usually ran it on the edge.
This is a link to the VA Bch race in '92 . Thats Art Lilly in the black Fountain , I finished fourth with Bob Teague at the helm of my 28 Magnum ( my first race).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbH9Qdp7C8w
Old 09-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just don't really think a number 6 is the best way to go since the SCX came out . There's SCX's out there handling 1250hp . $15,000 ... Less money , Less weight , Less moving parts , Less power robbing .....WIN WIN WIN and WIN !
Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

yea lots of the 27/28' boats were derived from that magnum hull
that boat was riding just as I was trying to describe perfect cg for a single 28
the fountain was bow heavy beating up drivers and hull as magnum was just slicing
the #6 drive as stated heavier,ect and slower than #5,4,3s just handles big ger power than u using
give it a try and do all the refabing of complete transom and motor hatch area and dial in
or use what works and has been proven on these 28s
extra transom weight adds to more bow ballast to compensate
which again defeats purpose of single over twin
Old 09-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^ The boat in the video is the 28 Pantera , not my Magnum . ^^^
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
^^^ The boat in the video is the 28 Pantera , not my Magnum . ^^^
as stated was riding perfect in race conditions,,,,
wheather magnum,pantera,excalibur,activator,ect
Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else excited to see some action in the pantera forum again? I think if you can get the 6 with the transom assembly for the right price go for it. As someone said before might want to talk to check300 as he surprisingly set his pro shaft at 3 ish below the bottom after trying it above the bottom and even with the bottom. It's a different brand boat but still a single in the 28-30' range.

Only downfall I personally see with a scx is they want you to shift at 1000 rpm max, if you have some legit hp getting it to idle 900-1000 and shifting is gonna be a pain in the butt. Where as with a transmission shifting it 12-1400rpm no issues.

Surprisingly tunnel visions prop shaft was even with the bottom of the boat and always seemed to run well. I had heard it ran mid to upper 80s with 800. Getting on plane they had to use compressed air to ventilate the prop.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Anyone else excited to see some action in the pantera forum again? I think if you can get the 6 with the transom assembly for the right price go for it. As someone said before might want to talk to check300 as he surprisingly set his pro shaft at 3 ish below the bottom after trying it above the bottom and even with the bottom. It's a different brand boat but still a single in the 28-30' range.

Only downfall I personally see with a scx is they want you to shift at 1000 rpm max, if you have some legit hp getting it to idle 900-1000 and shifting is gonna be a pain in the butt. Where as with a transmission shifting it 12-1400rpm no issues.

Surprisingly tunnel visions prop shaft was even with the bottom of the boat and always seemed to run well. I had heard it ran mid to upper 80s with 800. Getting on plane they had to use compressed air to ventilate the prop.
If you are using a blower to reach those pwr #'s then you can usually shift with the blower roll unless you tune it totally out.

I'm surprised with the shaft level with the bottom it would even get on plane with out blowing out. Do you know what prop they were running?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
If you are using a blower to reach those pwr #'s then you can usually shift with the blower roll unless you tune it totally out.

I'm surprised with the shaft level with the bottom it would even get on plane with out blowing out. Do you know what prop they were running?
they ran a 16.75 diameter 26P 4 blade on the boat, they actually used compressed air to ventilate the prop to get the engine spinning then feathered the throttle 4000ish till it laid over. Wasn't the easiest to get on plane but it would go.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. By the time I buy the setup, the money to rig the boat and the r&d, it almost seems like it's not worth it. A bravo based drive is proven to work and that makes me not want to venture into uncharted territory. I'm definitely not wanting to loose speed. It's hard enough to squeeze every MPH out of this boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.