79 Pantera 24' >

79 Pantera 24'

Notices

79 Pantera 24'

Old 11-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Pantera 24'

Hi all -- i am new to this forum -- so take it easy on me!!!

I am looking at a 79 pantera with the 330 hp motor. The hull looks in pretty good shape and the motor runs pretty good as well (have not put it in the water yet). The outdrive looks a little chewed up -- and he definitely had a prop hit.

I looked real close at the transom and I don't see any cracks. The paint is yellow and very faded.

Anything in particular I should look for on this boat? value?

he is asking 8900 for it -- which seems pretty high. My limited research indicates a value of about 5500 to 6500.

What kind of speeds will this boat do? what'll it take to get it to 70/72 mph?

thanks

Mark
Old 11-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mark,

Hope to have you as a Pantera owner soon.

My Father built the majority of the 24s in the late 70s early 80s with 454-330 HP TRS packages.The majority would run between 61-63 MPH. Props have gotten much better over the years so I am confident you could get one to run 65 MPH now with a better prop.

To get it to run 70-72 MPH will take approximately 450 HP with the TRS drive.These 24s are heavier than what we build now since fiberglass lamninates and resins have improved over the years.

They do run great in rough water with the extra weight.

The majority of 24s in that range of year are selling between $ 10,000 and $ 15,000 if in good condition.

Make sure the transom is in good condition and running gear in the boat checks out for you.The weak link on the drive train would be the transmission.With 330 HP you should be fine.Look at the stringers and see if they all look good.I would say the most important thing would be to go for a demo ride before purchase.

If you need any more help email me here at the factory.

[email protected]

Regards,

JO
Old 11-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

thanks i will keep that advise in mind

oh by the way -- the boat is not what i would call good condition -- albeit in running condition.

it needs paint -- some glass work at the bow -- new dash -- new controls -- new upholstery

it looks pretty much to be in an un-restored fashion -- doesn't look like an upgrades have ever been done to it.

if i can get it for a deal -- i don't mind dropping a couple/three grand into it over the winter -- but I really want to be able to hit 70mph -- i wonder if i should look for a newer more expensive one instead??
Old 11-06-2002, 02:20 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by mpejsa
i wonder if i should look for a newer more expensive one instead??
I would have to agree with that view.
2-3 large would not seem like enough to get the boat up to par (let alone enough for just the interior).
Old 11-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Registered

as for the 2 or 3 g's -- that would just be towards making it run

the rest like interior, contorls and such i would do over time (every thing seems to work right now) but like i said -- it looks almost original

i guess the other thing for me to think about

I can get this boat -- and practically sneak it into the house withouth the wife complaining about the cost and she would not notice the cost over time.

versus me laying down 15 - 25 k for a rtr boat

just thinking out loud
Old 11-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Registered

ok -- finally got it out in the water. Seemed to run pretty good -- most of the guages didn't read accurately. I had it almost WOT and the speedo was reading 25 (i think the sensor had a crack in it). Throttle was actually pretty smooth and went into neutral and reverse without much effort. Trim tabs did not have indicators (have mechanical but they are not hooked up) so it was a little hard to get the boat to ride right. The boat feels a lot bigger in the water then on the trailer!

Did find one other problem with it - the water pump casing is cracked along with the bilge and lights not working. I offered 6500 with those items fixed. Should hear back soon.

Seems like this would be a fun project boat and my first "performance" boat.

I do need to get the thing painted pretty quickly -- it is a faded yellow with flames and "RATED X" on the side of it. I don't think the wife will like riding in it with that on it!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Sounds like a good offer. Lets see some before pics.

Good luck
Brian
Old 11-10-2002, 06:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo, How much lighter are the current 24's compared to the earlier ones? Mine is an '80 Thanks.

Quote:To get it to run 70-72 MPH will take approximately 450 HP with the TRS drive.These 24s are heavier than what we build now since fiberglass lamninates and resins have improved over the years.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey ironman,

The weight is approximately 400 - 600 pounds more than a new one. The laminates have improved allot over the years that have reduced weight but have maintained the boats just as strong.

Besides my Father over built many of the early Panteras. That is why there are so many of them still runnning around in excellent condition.

Regards,

JO
Old 11-12-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jo, I am thinking about cutting some holes in the foreward bulkhead to lighten the hull up a little and to get a little better balance since I have lightened up the stern by installing lighter weight engine components. I do not want to weaken the hull structure and it seems that that bulkhead is a little overbuilt, I thought that a few holes flanking the foreward access hole would not pose a problem. Is this a good idea or should I look elsewhere for weight removal. Thanks, Chris

Quick Reply: 79 Pantera 24'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.