Prop for 24

Notices

Prop for 24

Old 08-15-2020, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop for 24

Have a 24 with about 620hp from a 555. I currently have a three blade 25p mirage plus. Has a lot of prop torque when get on it. Tabs help, but still can feel it. I have full hydraulic steering. I have a 4 blade 26p bravo1 that I am thinking of trying. Which prop would be the better option? Would the 4 blade make the prop torque worse and throw me the port side harder?
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Went through this with my 24 years ago. A left hand prop may help some. A Mach Sterndriver in the right pitch might also be a decent option. If your 4 blade is a Bravo, I dont think you will like it. Rolling into the throttle instead of stabbing it helps, and also, try giving it a bit of positive trim before you get on it. The more tucked in mine was, the worse the roll. There were a couple times I put it almost completely on its its port side while figuring out how to drive with all the additionally HP
The following users liked this post:
onesickpantera (08-28-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravo or Trs drive? both like different setup. Drive height and boatbalance, battery placement etc... can do a lot for you also. I had identical top end with both Mirage + and Bravo 1 labbed with the TRS drive but better handling with a loaded boat with the Bravo 1 labbed and better all around lessmid range torque lean. The bravo 1 drive is 2" shorter and the mirage was not nearly as good as the Bravo labbed prop with the higher propshaft height. HP 500 M+25 and B1 26 labbed comparison.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Registered

Hi Courtney,

I have a new phone and do not have your number anymore. Text me if you want to try either or both props.

-27P 3 Blade Mirage Non Plus (with your HP what RPM is your 25P spinning @ WOT? Too many would be my guess)
-26P PowerTech OFX 4 that was made for the boat (A couple mph slower but better all around - I run this prop usually, maybe put the 3 blade on for Fun Runs)

You have 20 - 30 more HP than me but these 2 props work pretty good . . .

Congratulations on getting the boat back together,

Ben
Old 08-19-2020, 11:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Ben,

Thanks... been a long time coming. We have been down at the rope swing and have seen you coming in and going in further. We usually go straight in at the beginning of the cove and anchor. That has to be the best spot on the lake. Kids have been so excited that the boat is back on the water that we have been out on it quite a bit. Going broke. Actually had them tubing off the back.

Do you get much prop torque? I know we are close in HP and set up. I do need to test some props. As for RPMs, I have been around 5,000. has been hard to get much higher with the kids on the boat, as either gets too rough and almost tossed my 5 year old daughter one day or it gets a bit squirly on calmer water. I get a lot of pull on the steering from the torque when I start to get to 5,000.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Registered

You need to open that thing up and see what it will do without the kids
I'm not running the Fun Run this weekend so If you would like to pick up these 2 props and experiment please feel free.

828 - four 6 one - 4206

Old 08-28-2020, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman View Post
Went through this with my 24 years ago. A left hand prop may help some. A Mach Sterndriver in the right pitch might also be a decent option. If your 4 blade is a Bravo, I dont think you will like it. Rolling into the throttle instead of stabbing it helps, and also, try giving it a bit of positive trim before you get on it. The more tucked in mine was, the worse the roll. There were a couple times I put it almost completely on its its port side while figuring out how to drive with all the additionally HP
I believe I owned this boat as well, and I agree my boat hated a Bravo prop. Way too much stern lift and threw the boat all over the place. The best 4 blade I was a Rev 4. The best 3 blade was a Turbo Lightning.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scarabman,

When you say tucked in, what do you mean. I have been playing with the tabs more and more and try not to stab it, as it will just go hard on it side if I do. I love the HP and the response, but the slant to the port I get is frustrating.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtholl View Post
Scarabman,

When you say tucked in, what do you mean. I have been playing with the tabs more and more and try not to stab it, as it will just go hard on it side if I do. I love the HP and the response, but the slant to the port I get is frustrating.
Drive trim at neutral, or positive before you get on it. 24 with big power is definitely a drivers boat. While you are rolling into it, try turning the wheel a bit to starboard. If you are already leaning, a quick jerk of the wheel to the right will usually re-balance the boat