Pantera 28 vs Formula 272 SR1 >

Pantera 28 vs Formula 272 SR1

Notices

Pantera 28 vs Formula 272 SR1

Old 05-09-2023, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pantera 28 vs Formula 272 SR1

Yes, I know the Pantera is probably a bit better in the rough, but is there a huge difference? I'm looking at two boats for sale and the Formula is half the asking price of the Pantera. Just wondering if the Pantera is worth twice as much?

I value rough water handling most of all, and I know there are plenty of other boats that would be good too, just wondering about the difference between these two particular models.

Has anyone owned both, or ridden in both of these models and felt a difference?
Old 05-12-2023, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

What engines are in each boat? Honestly the formula is still a nice handling boat, and for half the cost? I’d lean that way. Unless you are constantly in the rough waters then get the pantera!
Old 05-17-2023, 06:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

The ride quality is not even comparable to Pantera is four times better built boat.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
The ride quality is not even comparable to Pantera is four times better built boat.
Just out of curiosity; In what way is it better built? Both have nearly identical hull shapes and a fiberglass core. Both have the traditional double stringer system and probably an equal number of bulkheads... So what are the differences? It's easy to just say; that boat is a thousand times better than the other, but what are the arguments? In what way is it better built?

PS: I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just looking for some facts to back up the opinion.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Go jump on deck of a 272, then Pantera ... start there. The Pantera is better layup and glassed together, the deck of formula is screwed together just literally everything is better secured, engine room totally blocked off on Pantera, formula has open gunnels and no side structure, many more things go look at both and ride in them get back to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Full Force:
Craney (05-17-2023), larslindroth (06-23-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Go jump on deck of a 272, then Pantera ... start there. The Pantera is better layup and glassed together, the deck of formula is screwed together just literally everything is better secured, engine room totally blocked off on Pantera, formula has open gunnels and no side structure, many more things go look at both and ride in them get back to me.
Thanks for a good reply!
(If I could go and ride in them I wouldn't have been posting this thread though: All of them are quite far away. One of them is even in a neighboring country.)

But the differences that you mention show that you know what you're talking about! When you say "side structure", do you mean partial bulkheads that run up the hullsides in a vertical angle?
Have you been on both? If so, what were the greatest differences (apart from the ones you mention)? Can you name more differences?
(I don't want to be a PIA for you, it's just that once I find someone with good knowledge - like you - it's "mini Christmas Eve" for me: I try to learn as much as possible. Every bit of information is read with loads of gratitude from me! ...so if you have the time: Keep it coming, please!

...and; Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time for this!
Old 05-17-2023, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 05-17-2023, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first time on a Pantera what really impressed me was the ride quality. We went through a large wake from a cruiser and the boat didn't rattle, shake, or vibrate from being launched into the air. You could tell instantly that the boat was designed and constructed very well. You have a ton of fantastic boats in that size range, so it really comes down to your personal preference and what you want to spend. We liked the classic lines and layout of the Pantera and eventually bought a 28.

Last edited by baja97; 05-17-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja97
Our first time on a Pantera what really impressed me was the ride quality. We went through a large wake from a cruiser and the boat didn't rattle, shake, or vibrate from being launched into the air. You could tell instantly that the boat was designed and constructed very well. You have a ton of fantastic boats in that size range, so it really comes down to your personal preference and what you want to spend. We liked the classic lines and layout of the Pantera and eventually bought a 28.
I agree, but I just want more facts to base my personal preference on before I even go and look at a boat 600 miles away, so I don't have to waste my time (or the seller's time for that matter).
I've had similar experiences (jumping big waves) in quite a few boats the same size (Scarab 29, Checkmate 28, etc) but I've never been on a Formula 272 or a Pantera - let alone in rough waters, so I'm looking for some clear facts, like the ones given by "FullForce" above. I want to know the real actual differences between these two models in construction, or the differences in behavior in rough waters from someone with first hand experience from both.

I don't doubt your opinion that the Pantera is a good boat, just looking for more than a vote for one or the other. (As you know; just because many people vote for a certain president, it doesn't mean they know what they're doing, and it doesn't mean it's the best person for the job Not going to mention who I'm referring to, since this is a boating forum and we should all be friends, but I think that most people can relate to that comparison... 🙂
Old 05-18-2023, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both boats have essentially the same hull design. Formulas are well built production boats. They are going to have better than average build quality, ride, and fit and finish. Pantera's are custom/semi custom boats built to take a beating, and a true offshore high performance boat. If you want to run WFO and air the boat out - Pantera, if you want a nice high performance boat for the family - Formula.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.