GPS'ed the 28 this weekend

Notices

GPS'ed the 28 this weekend

Old 05-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up GPS'ed the 28 this weekend

I have had a tough time finding water that would allow me to leave the throttles to the stop long enough to trim it in.. Well, I ran it on saturday and found an un-named ICW stretch to open her up..
Load was two 200lb guys, cooler, full coast guard gear, inc. anchor, roughly 100 gal of fuel, and about another 100lbs of food, scuba gear, etc..
I saw 76.9mph at one point. Right engine was turning 51-5200, left engine only turned 4900 due to the slack in the cable adjustment.
I'm far from the expert at trimming for max speed...
I'll adjust that cable to get the left to spin 51-5200.
I'd realistically say that this boat has another 2 mph in it with the same load. Lighten it up like most peope do, and I'd probably see 80. I'd like to see what Jo could trim it to...
It slamms the limiter at 5200 instantly, which tells me that I need to swap the 26p 4 blade Bravo Ones for 28p props. I'd be into the 80's without much trouble with 28s.
Boat has enough torque to whip you over the seatbacks when taking off!

There has been some contraversary with regard to the top speed of a Pantera. I hope this clears it up. My motors are 100% stock (even the flame arrestors). Engines have 285 hours. Gas was basic 87 octane. Boat bottom needs wax bad...

Now I need to find someone that wants to swap the 26p's for 28's.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 05-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Tim

Nice to meet you this weekend. the boat looks real nice.

you tell us everything except for you power. Your runnin twins??

what HP??
Old 05-19-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bruce,

I could not get out of here on time Saturday and head down to Marathon.I expected to see you on Friday to stop by our Factory to take a look at your boats set up.I guess you were running behind.What broke on the boat ?

Tims 28 is powered with twin 502 MPIs 415 HP.I have seen as much as 82 MPH with this power.Tims 28 is bumping the limiters with 26 pitch 4 blade Bravo 1s.I would like to see him run a set of 25 Pitch Hydros or make up a set of 27 pitch 4 blade Bravo 1s.He has one motor pulling 200 RPM less than the other and holding one motor back a bit.

I ran Alberts 28 with him last Thursday and we got 84.7 MPH on GPS spinning a 27 pitch 4 blade Bravo 1 labbed at 5900 RPM.It was 2-3 footers out in the ocean and could not trim the drive out completely ( to bumpy ) to get the most out of it for top speed.It handled awesome out in the ocean.I took my hands of the wheel at top speed for several minutes out in the ocean with Albert.The boat with a 28 pitch labbed at 5700 RPM or possibly a 29 Pich labbed at 5500-5600 RPM will run 87-88 MPH.This motor made on the dyno 647 HP and is a 540 CI single carb.

I think Albert is planning on racing the boat this year in P4 class a few times.He would of raced it in Marathon but we had a big oil leak in the engine room.He is getting it fixed now.

I put up your new Marathon pic .on my website.

Regards,

JO
Old 05-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

HEY JO, I TOOK THE BOAT YESTERDAY TO NATIVE ENGINES TO GET A LEAK DOWN ON THE MOTOR.THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THE MOTOR IS NOT BROKEN,THE BAD NEWS IS THE MOTOR HAS THE NUMBER 4 AND 5 PISTONS WITH A 50% LEAK DOWN MEANING I HAVE TO TAKE THE ENGINE APART HONE IT AND PUT NEW RINGS ON IT.JUST THINK WE LOST 200 RPM`S THE DAY WE HIT 84 MPH.FABIAN CALLED ME AND TOLD THAT MY 24 IS READY, I WILL PICK IT UP AND TAKE IT TO YOUR SHOP SOME TIME TODAY.HE SAID IT LOOKS AWESOME.TIM I COULDNT STAY AND SEE YOU AND BRUCE AT MARATHON BECAUSE MY GIRL IS 7 MONTH`S PREGNANT AND SHE WAS HURTING SATURDAY WATCHING THE RACE WITH THAT HEAT.I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO BRUCE,HE BROKE DOWN ON THE THIRD LAP.ALBERT

Last edited by MIAMIBOYZ; 05-20-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Registered

Hey Albert...sorry to hear about your troubles.

We were in second when we broke. It was at turn 1 in lap 6 though, not 3. Anyway, it looks like something let go in the drive. We are not sure yet. Didnt get it apart. They still scored us 2nd because of two DQs. So at least we were in second when we broke and we got it anyway. So..we are still in the hunt for national points
Old 05-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

HEY BRUCE,WELL ATLEAST IT ISNT YOUR MOTOR AGAIN.BRUCE IT LOOKED TO ME THAT YOUR DRIVE IS TO HIGH.HOW MUCH TRIM DID YOU HAVE ON SATURDAY.DID JO GIVE YOU THE MEASUREMENTS ON MY BOAT YET,WE MEASURED IT ON TUESDAY FOR YOU AND SAID HE WOULD EXPLAIN IT TO YOU.HE MENTIONED TO ME THAT YOU 2 -1/2 INCHES TO HIGH.THAT IS ALOT BRUCE AND MAYBE THAT IS THE CAUSE OF YOUR DRIVE BREAKING.BRUCE SORRY I DIDNT STOP TO SEE YOU ON SATURDAY I HAD MY OTHER HALF WITH ME AND SHE IS PREGNANT WAITING FOR OUR FIRST CHILD A GIRL AND SHE WAS SICK WITH THE HEAT SO I HAD LEAVE BEFORE THE RACE ENDED.ALBERT
Old 05-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Registered

Hey Albert...

We actually broke the short vertical shaft in the upper case. Dont ask me how.

My prop shaft is 2 3/4" below the boat. Jo said yours is 4 1/4 with the notched transome. So Im assuming i still need to come down about 2 inches. Thats the next step. We will mount a standard length lower and then we will be 4 3/4 below the bottom. We will see what happens then.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

BRUCE YOU ARE GOING TO IMPROVE BIG TIME.THAT BOAT SHOULD BE KICKING ASS IN P5 WITH YOUR SET UP,YOU SHOULD BE CRUISING ALONG TO THE END WITH NO PROBLEM.