Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
SBI Miami Race "Miami Boyz" >

SBI Miami Race "Miami Boyz"

Notices

SBI Miami Race "Miami Boyz"

Old 04-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, nice meeting you George, as you can see Tims boat leading the pack my boat is at the left of him going out. We ran into some big waters going ou the cut when we had some rollers come in the bow of the boat atleast three of them, in front of my engine hatch I have open holes for more air to intake into the motor, this was a problem when you get a three surges going over the boat.We lost intercoms communication on the first surge of water comming into the boat and then at the end of the cut I lost power when the water got into my carb and ignition. We were fortunate to be away from the rocks when when we lost power, I had to jump into the engine room and take of my shirt to dry the distributor to get it started. We will be back and I will plug the holes in front and install naka ducs instead.
When we tested it was really rough and we had a great feal for the boat and the conditions I cant be any happier owninig this true offshore boat my driver is so happy with the performance of the boat in the rough that I cant get him of the wheel.

Albert
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Albert, call me when you get a chance today.

Angel
Old 04-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Pictures Angel, and George!!!!

Nice Finally meeting everybody, and all in one Spot, as you can see in that pic, I have the phone up to my ear, TimG was on the other end, trying to get plans for the day situated, We ended up watching from the beach, it was so rough, the SBI official didnt want any "extra" people on the Pace Boat, We were a little upset at first, but then seeing the boat bobbing around out there, we were glad to be on dry land. As you can see from Georges pic of Tim in the Cut, Tim said he went straight up twice, and landed the back end !!! , glad there werent a few hundred extra pounds back there. See everyone in Marathon, or later in the season
Old 04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Big?

Originally posted by georges
Here's a pic of Tim G. at the mouth of Government cut, outbound, with the race fleet behind him:
Hey Georges-
Please email me those pics full size..
[email protected]

Big?
Let's just say that those pics don't do it justice.
I have never, and never want to ever see water like that again.

There were three or four real big swells that were much bogger than 10-12' at about 40' intervals.

I'll be money that 95% of you have never seen a situation like that.

It takes a lot to scare me, but I was honestly quite worried. The rescue diver in my back seat was nearly in tears.

There was two times when I thout we were in sure trouble. the boat actually came back down on the transom, and I just mashed the throttles and up she came. Anything less than 600hp in this boat and we'd have been swamped. no lie.
I was praying to the Merc 502 gods the entire time..
Loose power in there, an you're done..for real. done.

I was extremely relieved that the entire fleet made it out the cut...although many broke just navigatring the cut to get out! (engine mounts, drives, etc.)

We were the pace boat for the second pack.
Seas were so rough that just milling in 8' swells had all the drivers in a tizzy. I could hardly see them, and they could hardly see me. They were so spread out... We did get most of the driver's attention and got them started..

Our safety point was the south end turn.
Don't Blink lost power on the south straight.
We made two valiant attempts to get a line to them before they hit the beach (South Beach), but were unsuccessful. I have pretty good rope burns on my right hand to proove it. (my throttles had a good dosing of blood). Don't Blink did wind up on the beach...

All in all, not a good day. I'm sure there will be a lot of talk in the racer forum.

Jo, Pepe, Linda, Barb,...Thank you for building me such a solid boat. This was an unreal experience, and this boat went through like a champ. It's just a pretty as it was before the race... not a mark on it. It's one tough SOB!
A lot of new race boats didn't make it.. but this '99 Pantera 28 just ate it up.. and still looks like a new boat.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Registered

Tim,
I have been to many races, and except for maybe last years wednesday KW race, don't remember seeing such big water.
I did see you (and many others) go straight up several times, but my digital cam wouldn't reset fast enough!
At least everyone made it back.
I'll e-mail you the full size pics when I get home later.

Albert,
Sorry to hear about your problems going out. I was wondering what had happened to you. Glad to hear you're OK
Fortunately, you and Tim were in Panteras!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 PM
JJH
Registered

Wow, those pics are unreal! Government Cut is a ***** in that spot. I don't know why, but it is! About 20 yrs ago my dad says he did the same thing in his old pantera 24...he said the boat was pointed straight up leaving the cut! I'm glad everyone is OK.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

Originally posted by WildThing
Hey Albert,
Do you have any HQ pics of your new paint job and boat? Could you email me a few?
Thanks
Ron
Hi Ron, there was a few people taking pics this weekend, I`m just waiting for some.If you look at my thread "ready for this weekends race"
I have some pics on there.

Albert
Attached Thumbnails SBI Miami Race "Miami Boyz"-dscn0795.jpg  

Last edited by MIAMIBOYZ; 04-21-2004 at 07:58 AM.