Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Phantom (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/phantom-179/)
-   -   34' Great Boat - No Bullsh*t (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/phantom/210212-34-great-boat-no-bullsh%2At.html)

Smarty 06-13-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jdub (Post 2884038)
Looks great...see ya on the bay. You still putting in at Barber's?

Putting in at Barber's tomorrow (after 1:00 PM), me my Aunt, my cousin and his girlfriend, family day out - then down to Lloyd's creek late afternoon. Maybe I will see you out.

Stephen:ernaehrung004:

Smarty 06-15-2009 12:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures of Steve E.'s 34' Phantom and our boat. Steve's son - Steve Jr. took the running shot pictures; my boat was running either low or mid-eighties in the picture (due to driver error and prop work that backfired, lost 4 mph top end), Steve's boat was faster yesterday; it looks good and acclerates strong. :)

We will run again, he is a good dude, and I had a great day out on the water.

(I want my 4 mph back!!!!!!!!!!!!) :(

Smarty 06-15-2009 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More shots

TOASTY 06-15-2009 01:03 PM

where you in fresh water or salt water? thats good for a little.
get bblades involved, do a little toe in or out of the drives and the tie rod. 4-5 mph is an easy gain! good luck really would like to see and hear that boat strut its stuff!

Smarty 06-15-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TOASTY (Post 2888623)
where you in fresh water or salt water? thats good for a little.
get bblades involved, do a little toe in or out of the drives and the tie rod. 4-5 mph is an easy gain! good luck really would like to see and hear that boat strut its stuff!

Christian,

I got greedy, I wanted more top end mph, and no cavitation when planing - that is why I had propeller work last week. So the work was completed. The boat cavitated way less but the propeller slip jumped (I have spoken with a few knowledgeable propeller people today). I will have to go back to more cavitation when planing to get my top end mph with these 34" Bravo. The ultimate solution, according to Julie from Throttle-Up and Will Smith, is a set of five blades - I have already made inquiries on a set of Maximus props. I need to bump up my rev limiters too, that was the driver error, and slip in combination. Steve E. in the other Phantom was coming on by and I could not understand why I was getting passed. In the end it was simple, he was just faster - I was too greedy and looking for too much trim - then against the rev limiter and the boat slowed considerably, I have to realize this is not a Hydrostream or a Allison, no tail riding.

I keep testing and trying different things, it will get all sorted out. I just want to get back to what we had last week in Sarasota. I just can't get to greedy, and expect too much. Word of the day humility!

DareDevil 06-15-2009 02:05 PM

Steve,,,u will get it right ,,,take your time .

And like i said u can rev them easy to 5400 RPM at that point it will not matter if the HP drops down ,,uhave the momentum already so u only need a little more RPM and the thing will fly at close to 100 !!!!!

Like i said before !!:evilb:

Scott

p29steve 06-15-2009 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Smarty;2888583]Pictures of Steve E.'s 34' Phantom and our boat. Steve's son - Steve Jr. took the running shot pictures; my boat was running either low or mid-eighties in the picture (due to driver error and prop work that backfired, lost 4 mph top end), Steve's boat was faster yesterday; it looks good and acclerates strong. :)

(I want my 4 mph back!!!!!!!!!!!!) :([/QUOTE

i'm also still dialing mine in, since i took my sand bags out of the front the boat it handles different so i'm trying to ajust. i need someone who is good with carbs so i can get mine dialed in better,i have a black film on the back of the boat from running alittle rich. last fall i seen a little over 90 and the best this year is 87 so i think some carb ajusting and recheck the timing is in order.

Smarty 06-15-2009 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=p29steve;2888748]

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 2888583)
Pictures of Steve E.'s 34' Phantom and our boat. Steve's son - Steve Jr. took the running shot pictures; my boat was running either low or mid-eighties in the picture (due to driver error and prop work that backfired, lost 4 mph top end), Steve's boat was faster yesterday; it looks good and acclerates strong. :)

i'm also still dialing mine in, since i took my sand bags out of the front the boat it handles different so i'm trying to ajust. i need someone who is good with carbs so i can get mine dialed in better,i have a black film on the back of the boat from running alittle rich. last fall i seen a little over 90 and the best this year is 87 so i think some carb ajusting and recheck the timing is in order.

Alot people in the Philly area use Dean Nickerson (he is a carb guy), I do not have any first hand experience with Dean, or call Bobby Wallace at Offshore.

TOASTY 06-16-2009 12:44 AM

go see dean, you get what you pay for but he is the best.
ask for the full race treatment and let them know what your running!

smart, get bblades involved!!!! you will find that they know their stuff. we worked with them all in dialing the 32 and 38 even the sut.

good luck

737jetmech 06-16-2009 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=p29steve;2888748]

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 2888583)

Give Tim Zepp a call ( he tuned 56 hp ) on the dyno .
we showed up with Nickersons ... after some drilling and jet / booster changing .First pull before any carb work was @ 560 hp ... 616 hp final pull.
Tim Zepp Racing Engines 856-589-5658