Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure

Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure

The American Cancer Society's 1st Annual "Power Boating for a Cure" Poker Run
Friday Aug 21, 2009 and Saturday Aug. 22, 2009

This is a brand new event for the Mid Atlantic Area. It will be a better than average run.

What has happened:
The American Cancer Society approached local boaters / local dealers and formed a committee comprised of boaters that have attended several large scale events like: "Jax River Rally", Destin, Tickfaw, Jammin on the James and 1000 islands.

This committee is organizing a poker run in Norfolk / VA Beach that is shaping up to be a major event.
The goal for this first 2009 inaugural run is to put on a really good event to include a great party. Then draw on lessons learned, we hope to grow into a MAJOR poker run. While the majority of boats are go-fast, this event is open to all types of boats. We already have a 72' boat signed up!

Mark your Calendar for this event and submit your registrations, you can help us shape a Mid Atlantic area poker run into a major event and support and really great charity, The American Cancer Society.

What's different about this poker run than those run locally in the past - EVERYTHING!

Thurs:
Nothing official planned "YET" this year - Next year may include a welcoming party, come early and check out some of the best boating in the area.

Fri night:
- Last minute registration.
- Secure docking at Waterside Marina which includes security.
- Mandatory Captains (ONLY) meeting Friday night.
- No Host Party following Captains Meeting (more being worked out for Friday. (Next year may include a fun run)

Saturday:
- Breakfast provided on the docks.
- Poker run will blast promptly at 10 AM.
- New course - Smooth water - all size boats welcome.
- Lunch Stop with swimming pool .
- Social "PARTY" time on the docks followed by a nice Dinner and party that will start around 6:00 at Waterside (in A/C).
- Cash awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place
- Awards for best dressed crew, nicest engine, best paint, best looking boat, & longest distance towed.
- A silent auction - (working on some really quality items).
- A live auction - stuff you will WANT to bid on! Don't let someone outbid you on . . . . . can't divulge items yet.

Sunday:
- Your time to do as you please (locals usually run to the Tiki bar on the Eastern Shore (maps will be provided)

What's Included with your paid registration:

- Ditty bags, T-shirts, prizes and more!
- breakfast before the run
- Poker Run and dinner
- Randy Nuzzo will be on hand for aerial photos
- A narrated DVD video included with your paid entry
-
-
-
-
-
-

More details/surprises are still being planned - I will provide updates as I they happen.
Not all details are finalized yet. We have more being planned!!!!

Website will be up soon and will have details added also.

With the backing and experience of the American Cancer Society, this 1st event is shaping up to be pretty good. One of the guys on the committee was heavily involved in bringing Offshore Power Boat Racing to VA Beach years ago. He is pulling strings and calling on friends to make this a first class event. Others on the committee have attended major poker runs across the country and we are calling on those experiences to make this the best boating event Hampton Roads has had to date. We are also asking for advice from the organizers of other major poker runs around the country. Again, the American Cancer Society has lots of influence.

Again, the committees plan is to start off modest this year, make sure we get it right and people leave saying "WOW - I gotta be there next year!!", and then we ramp it up.

Think of this as the 1st year of Jammin on the James, the 1st year of Jacksonville River Rally etc. and you get the idea. You won't want to miss it.

For those of you from out of town, we are working on ramp / rig logistics and security. We are securing accommodations VERY nearby for those that don't want to stay on their boat.

Our web page and lots more info will be up soon!

For more info - Call Bob Veith - 757-463-2333 or William Braun 757-961-9411
Attached Thumbnails Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure-acs-teaser.jpg   Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure-powerboating-reg-form.jpg   Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure-acs-course.jpg  

Brand new event - PowerBoating for a Cure-poker-run-map.jpg  

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 06-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like fun..... Keep us informed!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great format. Keep me informed so I can forward info on to everyone on my roster.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Will do. Should have website up soon, and more finalized info.
As I said above, this event should be different from any event is the past, should have major sponsors, and plans are working to make it into a MAJOR "must do" event.

Afterwards we will be looking for comments, criticism and ideas of what YOU would like to see next year.

Due to logistics and ability to make a memorable event,
Docking Fri nite and Saturday (included) will be at Waterside Marina in Norfolk VA. The captains meeting and party will be in an exclusive area inside Waterside - and it looks like we can do what we want!

Please mark your calandar, I am sure you will make this a must do event.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will make plans to be there
Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered

We are in !! I put the check in the mail this afternoon, maybe by then I will have the motors in the boat.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Forgot to mention -
This event is open to all types of boats. We already have a 72' boat signed up!

Also - Randy Nuzzo will be on hand for aerial photos - In addition, we will have a video included with your entry. (May even be in Hi Def - that is a BIG maybe!!)

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillR
Will do. Should have website up soon, and more finalized info.
As I said above, this event should be different from any event is the past, should have major sponsors, and plans are working to make it into a MAJOR "must do" event.

Afterwards we will be looking for comments, criticism and ideas of what YOU would like to see next year.

Due to logistics and ability to make a memorable event,
Docking Fri nite and Saturday (included) will be at Waterside Marina in Norfolk VA. The captains meeting and party will be in an exclusive area inside Waterside - and it looks like we can do what we want!

Please mark your calandar, I am sure you will make this a must do event.
Well since you are trying to make this run into one of the "MUST DO" event maybe you yourself should do some of the other events that are already in the TOP TEN in the nation that are local to you. If you want support you should also give support.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by excursion
Well since you are trying to make this run into one of the "MUST DO" event maybe you yourself should do some of the other events that are already in the TOP TEN in the nation that are local to you. If you want support you should also give support.
"I" am not the main organizer, just helping out a bit. However, I HAVE attended "top 10 poker runs" out of the area. As I mentioned in the original post, there are many others on the committee that have vast PR experience.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Check 1st post.
.jpeg added with prize info and course info.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.