Notices

King of Shaves Penalized ???

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.witty
Involving the Wilson family brought us a 24/7 connection to Fountain and a relationship with Arneson that I have to say has surpassed my expectations. We have what I consider to be a complete package and until this year, the Powerboat P1 series had never seen anything quite like it.

The reason we are winning, and winning well, is that we have sat down, read the rules and made the commitment. We are better organised than any of our opposition. We have simply raised the bar and not by throwing money away I can assure you.

Craig Wilson, apart from being Fountain Worldwide President, is a throttleman who gives us huge experience with Fountain products and Arneson surface drives. With James Sheppard, the guy who I put alongside Nigel Hook and watched (with great satisfaction) beat the all conquering Fountain SuperVees in Key West last year, I have one of the fastest monohull drivers in the world and, better than that, he has a great team sponsor in King of Shaves. Check out www.shave.com to see what they produce.

We are winning simply because we have the best combination of product in the P1 Evo field. I fear only Outerlimits when it comes to a straight fight but I still believe we are better equipped to deal with whatever is thrown at us and just because we've chosen to work and race a Fountain hull doesn't mean we're cheating. That comment really pisses me off!
I think one of the best things Mr. Witty has said here goes to the core of racing itself. If you think you have a better idea, buy it, build it and Race the best package against others that think they have the best ideas and the best shall win. I call it voting with your dollars for what you think is best.

As he stated in total opposition to the American way of thinking with everything being dictated my a single manufacturer, the P1 class racing brings out the best in people and in racing by encouraging a more market driven racing structure rather once again a monopolized system like we have here in the states.

I feel this approach that has been stifled here in the states and is the root of the American powerboat racing problem.

Competition makes for good racing and good racing needs competition in all areas.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by KLAATU
Dont pay too much attn to " Sharkey " He does take good pictures .
Thanks for the compliment... I think ?

When are you going to dust off your cam and get firing again ?

Welcome back.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

I received a call from Steve today.

We had a good long talk and he had answered all my questions in specific depth and detail.

After our conversation, I have to say I admire the Powerboat P1 organization that much more !

With some new insight, I see that the racing will be extremely tighter in 2008...

RACE ON !!!! P1.......

Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

QUOTE by Chris Witty
in H20 Full Throttle Magazine
June/July Issue 5

"I was not surpised how fast the Outerlimits were coming down the kilo as they have super charged engines and there was no speed limit. It was interesting to know that they took the lead in the "Round the Island Race" when they got to the flat bit between Malta and Gozo. They ran really fast there. It's a quick boat and we have seen how it performs in the States, and we have seen how it performs against our hull and it's given us something to think about."

Chris,

Thank you for your honest and professional comments in the H2o Fulll Throttle Magazine.

I look forward to seeing the reults of the upcoming races...

Be safe and good luck...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
After our conversation, I have to say I admire the Fountain organization that much more !

RACE ON !!!! P1.......

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
After our conversation, I have to say I admire the(edited by Downtown 42) Fountain organization that much more !

RACE ON !!!! P1.......
DT,
I was referring to Powerboat P1, not Fountain (formery known as SBI)

Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question

Originally Posted by wcmarine
I saw the official results and I remember now that they actually came off plane and stopped 100 yds before the finish line so they didn't break out.
WC,

Shouldn't a Penalty or a DQ been assessed for stopping prior to the Finish line to avoid breaking out ?

That is if this UIM Rule applies ?

"The competitor who clearly modifies his speed in the
proximity of the visible controls by zigzagging for stopping, will be penalized with 10" Equal to 10 penalties.

The competitor who, next to the finishing line, clearly
modifies his speed by zigzagging or stopping will be penalized with 10" Equal to 10 penalties."

Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

You are right, I will look into this, the donzi should be penalized! I hope Outerlimits gets reinstated to second, and Donzi penalized! It gives us more of a Championship lead!!
I will have Chris Witty check it out!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

Default Let's Work Together

The problem we have with P1 at the moment is that it is run under the UIM Pleasure Navigation rules. These are very different to the UIM Offshore rules created and administered by the UIM Offshore Commission (COMINOFF). The Offshore rules cater for racing whereas the PN rules are extremely basic (like a Poker Run!) and fail to cover many areas applicable to racing. For those of you who really want to see what we're talking about, you can download both sets of rules from the UIM website. I actually think the SBI and OSS rules are far better written than what we have to race with and I have suggested to P1 that they read them and take note for the future.

Many of the 'racing rules' in the UIM Offshore Rule Book don't feature in the UIM Pleasure Navigation Rulebook. That makes it very difficult for us to understand what is going on at times. All we can operate with are what P1 gives us which are their admended rules and supplement to the PN Rules. It's as clear as mud at times. We have asked P1 to seriously look at bringing many of the offshore rules into play for next year. For political reasons, P1 chose in the beginning to stay clear of the Offshore Commission and certain individuals who were then 'control freaks'. But that is no longer an issue.

P1 has just created a new Technical & Safety Working Group which now has team representation spread across both classes and, hopefully, in the coming weeks, we can thrash out a set of rules that will work for everybody and be included in next year's UIM PN Rulebook.

Even though I'm not too happy with the way some of things in P1 are being handled, it is the only show in town over here in Europe. Compared to Class 1, it's a third of the cost to compete in which says it all. Therefore we need to work in unison with the P1 guys and vice versa. All this nit picking over this infringement and that infringement isn't going to help. So in the immortal words of Canned Heat, "let's work together".