Notices

King of Shaves Penalized ???

Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Wait, Sharkey wants to see Reggies citizenship papers!! lol.
I don't care where your from, that was funny. Guess now we'll never get our picture taken again. Louie
Louie,

Has that ever stopped me before?

And if it did, you always have this one that was donated from me.......:

Click here and have a look at the bottom of the page!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, that shot always gives me chills lol, WC do you have any action shots? I would love to see you guys in action. Louie
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Talking

Sweet, that shot always gives me chills lol, WC do you have any action shots? I would love to see you guys in action. Louie
I do !

Powerboat P1 Photos

Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Registered

Default P1 And What It Takes To Win!

As the guy who put this Fountain-Ilmor Powerboat P1 programme together in the first place. I think I'm better prepared than most to comment on the reasons why we are doing so well in the series and beating the opposition.

First and foremost, I've been involved in offshore racing since 1979 when the Formula 1 Grand Prix team I was working for, Toleman, bought Cougar Marine. So my early days were spent close to the Curtis family and watching the development of their big Class 1 multihulls which changed the face of offshore racing forever. Both Clive and Steve Curtis remain close friends of mine.

Steve and I spend a lot of time together discussing boat racing and when the opportunity arose a year or so ago to form a partnership with Ilmor Marine, the new kids on the block so to speak, we jumped at the chance. You have to take on board that these guys, at their state of the art facility in Michigan, once designed, built and maintained all the GM and Mercedes-Benz Indy Car engines. They now do the same for the IRL series working with Honda. The also prepare NASCAR motors and have Roger Penske on the board of directors and a major shareholder.

Here at their facility in the UK, they also designed and built the Mercedes-Benz engine found in the McLaren Formula 1 cars so to have the chance to work with them using their Viper V10 motors couldn't be ignored. In racing you are always looking for that little bit extra, that advantage over everyone else. Unlike SuperVee or SCL, Powerboat P1 encourages teams to compete with as many different engine makes as possible. It doesn't make for a level playing field, I admit, but it's given the series something like seven "new" manufacturers all racing together.

I raced in the SBI SV Unlimited series towards the end of last year in a Scarab 43', Nigel Hook's old CITGO hull, fitted with Ilmor V10s. It was good learning curve in preparation for my team's planned entry into Powerboat P1 this year but it became apparent to me over the winter that racing dated equipment in P1, as most of the boats were, wouldn't be doing any of us any favours. Ilmor wanted us to do well (they are in the business to sell motors after all) and therefore wanted us to race a competitive hull.

So which companies in the entire world make the fastest monohulls? The choice was down to me. One of them had already made a surprising decision to go to Europe and race the P1 series with their 2006 SuperVee, now using the Mercury NXT package with added class weight, so that left Fountain or Skater.

The enthusiasm shown by Fountain Powerboats and Fountain Worldwide to come on board and make this programme happen was breathtaking. No other company could have put together a race winning combination in the time frame (8 weeks) which literally won its first event here in Europe at the end of May from straight out of the box.

Involving the Wilson family brought us a 24/7 connection to Fountain and a relationship with Arneson that I have to say has surpassed my expectations. We have what I consider to be a complete package and until this year, the Powerboat P1 series had never seen anything quite like it.

The reason we are winning, and winning well, is that we have sat down, read the rules and made the commitment. We are better organised than any of our opposition. We have simply raised the bar and not by throwing money away I can assure you.

Craig Wilson, apart from being Fountain Worldwide President, is a throttleman who gives us huge experience with Fountain products and Arneson surface drives. With James Sheppard, the guy who I put alongside Nigel Hook and watched (with great satisfaction) beat the all conquering Fountain SuperVees in Key West last year, I have one of the fastest monohull drivers in the world and, better than that, he has a great team sponsor in King of Shaves. Check out www.shave.com to see what they produce.

We are winning simply because we have the best combination of product in the P1 Evo field. I fear only Outerlimits when it comes to a straight fight but I still believe we are better equipped to deal with whatever is thrown at us and just because we've chosen to work and race a Fountain hull doesn't mean we're cheating. That comment really pisses me off!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and givng us here some insight of your team.

It is much appreciated....

Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race on Chris,
I have been a part of teams that fell under the same scrutiny as you and understand your frustration. It is such a shame. You do your homework, put together a package, kick ass and get scrutinized and more. I hope in the interest of parody your team doesn't get penalized by weight as we have in the past.
My buddy Art used to say," only the lead dog has bite marks on his ass".
Jim
Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

Well put Chris, but I must add that even if the boat was built in 8 weeks, the whole Arneson package has been an ongoing process since 2005. Mark Wilson has been researching and pulling his hair out to figure out the best setup. ( being his son I stayed at the office many nights laying out full scales of the transom etc...
Obviously it has paid off!!!
I guess I could put it this way... We are like Tony Stewart or Jeff gordon (which ever you like better) ...Best Car, best crew, best equipment....Race WINNERS
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered

It's only a few that can't accept the truth. If you get pissed, take it out on the race course. Great job.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, Sharkey wants to see Reggies citizenship papers!! lol.
I don't care where your from, that was funny. Guess now we'll never get our picture taken again. Louie
Yep....funny
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by chris.witty
As the guy who put this Fountain-Ilmor Powerboat P1 programme together in the first place. I think I'm better prepared than most to comment on the reasons why we are doing so well in the series and beating the opposition.

First and foremost, I've been involved in offshore racing since 1979 when the Formula 1 Grand Prix team I was working for, Toleman, bought Cougar Marine. So my early days were spent close to the Curtis family and watching the development of their big Class 1 multihulls which changed the face of offshore racing forever. Both Clive and Steve Curtis remain close friends of mine.

Steve and I spend a lot of time together discussing boat racing and when the opportunity arose a year or so ago to form a partnership with Ilmor Marine, the new kids on the block so to speak, we jumped at the chance. You have to take on board that these guys, at their state of the art facility in Michigan, once designed, built and maintained all the GM and Mercedes-Benz Indy Car engines. They now do the same for the IRL series working with Honda. The also prepare NASCAR motors and have Roger Penske on the board of directors and a major shareholder.

Here at their facility in the UK, they also designed and built the Mercedes-Benz engine found in the McLaren Formula 1 cars so to have the chance to work with them using their Viper V10 motors couldn't be ignored. In racing you are always looking for that little bit extra, that advantage over everyone else. Unlike SuperVee or SCL, Powerboat P1 encourages teams to compete with as many different engine makes as possible. It doesn't make for a level playing field, I admit, but it's given the series something like seven "new" manufacturers all racing together.

I raced in the SBI SV Unlimited series towards the end of last year in a Scarab 43', Nigel Hook's old CITGO hull, fitted with Ilmor V10s. It was good learning curve in preparation for my team's planned entry into Powerboat P1 this year but it became apparent to me over the winter that racing dated equipment in P1, as most of the boats were, wouldn't be doing any of us any favours. Ilmor wanted us to do well (they are in the business to sell motors after all) and therefore wanted us to race a competitive hull.

So which companies in the entire world make the fastest monohulls? The choice was down to me. One of them had already made a surprising decision to go to Europe and race the P1 series with their 2006 SuperVee, now using the Mercury NXT package with added class weight, so that left Fountain or Skater.

The enthusiasm shown by Fountain Powerboats and Fountain Worldwide to come on board and make this programme happen was breathtaking. No other company could have put together a race winning combination in the time frame (8 weeks) which literally won its first event here in Europe at the end of May from straight out of the box.

Involving the Wilson family brought us a 24/7 connection to Fountain and a relationship with Arneson that I have to say has surpassed my expectations. We have what I consider to be a complete package and until this year, the Powerboat P1 series had never seen anything quite like it.

The reason we are winning, and winning well, is that we have sat down, read the rules and made the commitment. We are better organised than any of our opposition. We have simply raised the bar and not by throwing money away I can assure you.

Craig Wilson, apart from being Fountain Worldwide President, is a throttleman who gives us huge experience with Fountain products and Arneson surface drives. With James Sheppard, the guy who I put alongside Nigel Hook and watched (with great satisfaction) beat the all conquering Fountain SuperVees in Key West last year, I have one of the fastest monohull drivers in the world and, better than that, he has a great team sponsor in King of Shaves. Check out www.shave.com to see what they produce.

We are winning simply because we have the best combination of product in the P1 Evo field. I fear only Outerlimits when it comes to a straight fight but I still believe we are better equipped to deal with whatever is thrown at us and just because we've chosen to work and race a Fountain hull doesn't mean we're cheating. That comment really pisses me off!
amen and welcom to the oso and fountain family . very well put thanks robbie

Quick Reply: King of Shaves Penalized ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.