Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerplay
Powerplay Boats >

Powerplay Boats

Notices

Powerplay Boats

Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I was at the Sunsation factory shortly after they received the 38 hull from Dan. One of the first things they did was to cut sections out of the hull sides and graft them onto the opposite sides of the hull. I remember holding up a piece of hull side and being very impressed with the layup and foam coring. One thing often overlooked on Powerplays is the cabin liner. The 38 had one of the nicest cabins in the industry. The mold work for the liners was nicer than some other manufacture's hull and deck molds. I loved all the nice clean gel coat in the cabin as opposed to a stick built/carpeted cabin.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
I heard Tom Mason has them but the street talk is worse than the internet, I also heard they sat with water in them, a real no no ,tooling gelcoat does not like that, it blisters, shame the barcol readings were in the high 50's on that black mold, I sprayed that on the 4th of July..
IF they were in good shape i would like to get ahold of them and hire you one day
Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

The 33 and smaller molds are dinosaurs without a step bottom. No matter who possesses them they need to be re-done with a step bottom to be competitive in today's market.

Sure a few guys wouldn't care but the majority would and the top speed wouldn't be real impressive without steps.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

38 Powerplay

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I was at the Sunsation factory shortly after they received the 38 hull from Dan. One of the first things they did was to cut sections out of the hull sides and graft them onto the opposite sides of the hull. I remember holding up a piece of hull side and being very impressed with the layup and foam coring. One thing often overlooked on Powerplays is the cabin liner. The 38 had one of the nicest cabins in the industry. The mold work for the liners was nicer than some other manufacture's hull and deck molds. I loved all the nice clean gel coat in the cabin as opposed to a stick built/carpeted cabin.
The Liners were also buffed to mirror before the interiors went in.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Premier Perf
IF they were in good shape i would like to get ahold of them and hire you one day
There was a lot of deck molds that went went with that hull.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The 33 and smaller molds are dinosaurs without a step bottom. No matter who possesses them they need to be re-done with a step bottom to be competitive in today's market.

Sure a few guys wouldn't care but the majority would and the top speed wouldn't be real impressive without steps.
If Danny was still building them it would be unchanged, started life as a blue water raceboat.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I see your at it again pretty good today to huh Steve? . . . Should i send ya over a pizza or something around noon? . . .

Hey quick question about the 33's. I see the race layout is a full stagger. How does that affect the handling over a standard side by side. I have heard staggering does not have the same affect on boats under 35 feet or so. I was considering staggering my 34 Scarab because there enough room (or room can be made) but was told it doesnt really do much for a boat that size. Heck if nothing else it would be easier to work on

Those 38's are bad azz, I'm sure they are prized possessions.
Attached Thumbnails Powerplay Boats-steve1.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-20-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
If Danny was still building them it would be unchanged, started life as a blue water raceboat.
So whos going to be building the next one..or version of one......
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
I see your at it again pretty good today to huh Steve? . . . Should i send ya over a pizza or something around noon? . . .

Hey quick question about the 33's. I see the race layout is a full stagger. How does that affect the handling over a standard side by side. I have heard staggering does not have the same affect on boats under 35 feet or so. I was considering staggering my 34 Scarab because there enough room (or room can be made) but was told it doesnt really do much for a boat that size. Heck if nothing else it would be easier to work on

Those 38 are bad azz, I'm sure they are prized possessions.
Dave LOL thanks I have run 100's of miles with the staggered Cobras (Harry O) in rough water with a side by side and the Cobra hands down in fact I was talking to Joel the next day about getting one,A world of difference out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.