Notices

arnesons

Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arnesons

302Sport (and others), I read in the powerplay thread that you were lookng to put ASD's on you boat. A few years back I was planning on rebuilding my 502's into 540's but was concerned about my drives (bravo 1's). I researched drive options, but there didn't seem to be an easy reliable solution. During my reseach, I contacted arneson and asked about their drives (ASD 7 bravo conversion kit), they said it would work but didn't know of anyone who had done the conversion. In the end, I decided to just rebuild my engines and leave them somewhat stock and wait for a better drive (or more info on the pro's and con's of switching to arnesons). So, I was wondering how you think the 33 powerplay hull will perform with ASD's? If I remember correctly, you were looking for more top end. I'm more concerned about cruise and planing time. I have a 33 sportfish that I use to cruise, tube, and occasionally fish (not planning on setting any speed records so top end is not my #1 goal) but I don't want to compromise my time to plane, planing speed, or my cruise speed.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

I have SSM #4's right now, and I am looking for more speed. I just think that instead of throwing more power at the boat, I would rather gain mph, without adding HP, thus keeping it more reliable. Also, the transom would have to be glassed, so I would send it to Steve1 here on the board, and while it was there he was going to get together with rik at arneson and if needed make the bottom changes that would really take advantage of the surface drives.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info and please post your results if you choose to go with the ASD's. Speed increase potential without adding horsepower is one of the major advantages the arneson drives have, plus the added reliability make it a good option in my book. Hopefully you don't need to modify your bottom to get them to work, I personally would not want to go that route, I would look really hard for other options.

Good luck and thanks again