Tow Question >

Tow Question

Notices

Tow Question

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tow Question

I have a problem with my regular truck and need to borrow a truck for a short tow, 20 miles to and from a ramp. I can borrow either a Hummer H2 or a standard size Escalade. I'm not sure if the Escalade has the air suspension as my ESV does. Which do you think would tow a 33 PP with I/O's better?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Go with the H2 in this case. It has better components and more tire on the ground. I'd be concerned you would damage the air system if there is one on the Caddy. The Caddy is a 1/2 ton, no more. The H2 is a bit of a hybrid of different parts but clearly has more suspension than the Caddy. Assuming stock tires, the tires on the H2 are at least D-rated BFG All-Terrain KO 17" tires. The Escalade could have any number of tire combos, but I don't think they compare to the H2 as far as heavy duty in this case.

But don't like it so much that you go out and buy one! Then again, I would not be towing a 33PP with an Escalade ESV (Subrurban) either.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Escalade is a better tow vehicle!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for replies. I have an ESV that i usually use but it needs shocks and a compressor. This is for just this once and i have the option to borrow a standard size Escalade or an H2. I will take it slow and wont be on highways.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Thanks for replies. I have an ESV that i usually use but it needs shocks and a compressor. This is for just this once and i have the option to borrow a standard size Escalade or an H2. I will take it slow and wont be on highways.
The overloading of your 33PP is probably what wore out your compressor and shocks. You might look into replacing which standard shocks and springs, and adding an aftermarket air-bag assist system like Firestone Ride-Right or AirLift---if upgrading to a proper capacity tow vehicle is not an immediate option.

Remember the limo that caught on fire and killed several women on the Bachelorette Party in California? The compressor for the on-board air-suspension system was overworked and it overheated, because the limo was over capacity.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Thanks. I hardly towed the boat. Probably a handful of times. The compressor was all rusty and the motor was seized. Probably from Sandy salt water, plus its 9 years old. I have a friend that works at GM and he has replaced hundreds of those compressors. If I was really using the truck for towing, I would upgrade but this is the first tow in a couple of years and it will be only 18 miles.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd go with the H2 hands down over the Caddy. Even though it's build on the Tahoe/Yukon platform, I think it's a little more heavy duty than the Escalade. Where are you located?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered

I actually was just offered a 03 Yukon XL. I waiting on hearing if the air suspension still works on that. I think since its an XL, it will work better than the H2 or Escalade. Im in NY
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an Escalade ESV and replaced the Compressor and Rear Air Ride Shocks at 100K miles. They just wear out...the air seals on the shocks go bad and the air compressor burned out due to running constantly to inflate the air ride shocks...nothing to do with towing. The previous owner (FBI or CIA) never towed with this vehicle!!

An H2 is a Tahoe with Hummer Skin. The Escalade standard is a Tahoe/Yukon with Air Ride and Stabilitrac....having a higher Gross Trailer Weight Rating than the ESV due to it's being lighter to begin with.

I have towed my 7500~8000# Formula behind all 4. The Tahoe & H2 are a toss up...poor tracking in the wind and on the highway due to the shorter wheelbase. The standard Escalade is a bit better because of no sag in the rear even with 500# tongue weight. The shorter vehicles are better in town and tight places simply because of the short wheel base. The Escalade ESV with Air Ride is superior to all other SUV's (except it's mirror twin the GMC Yukon Denali XL) in this class for towing in my opinion. I tow my Formula 70-75 MPH on it's twin torsion axle aluminum All American Trailer with 4 wheel disc with confidence and in comfort. The SUV's that are better still are the older 3/4 ton Suburbans and of course the Ford Excursion with the Power Stroke Diesel.

In a word...Escalade Standard over the H2 by a mile.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Great reply Sprink. I agree my ESV just broke on normal wear and tear. I bought the new compressor from GM. I will probably use the Monroe direct replacement which I know works well or the Arnott/Billstein air shock. But in the mean time I'm going to have to borrow a friends truck and was wondering which would work best. The easiest for me is the Yukon XL. I just want to confirm the compressor works on that.