Trim Question >

Trim Question

Notices

Trim Question

Old 04-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trim Question

I know trim troubleshooting been discussed several times. So I did some searching and come up with lots of good info but I am still having problems.

The trim only comes up with the trailer switch. I have troubleshot it down to probably being the trim limit switches. I have twin engines. I can wire around one of the switches (purple to purple/white) and the one motor runs but not both.

What are the possibility that 2 trim limit switches are bad at the same time? I am thinking not good. What is common to both switches that is making them not work? A ground? I have tightend up all connections that I can find.

Help!

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trim Question

Dave, have you made it out yet? I have 5 outings in and the boat is now on the lift. Not bad for mid April in central IL
Old 04-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Registered

Wally,

This Saturday will be the first trip for us. Our lift was just installed in the new slip last week. I need to size the bunks yet.

Five times? I am jealous!

I was not able to work on the trim switch last night but will so tonight. I am really thinking a ground is missing somewhere.

Dave
Old 04-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Before you spent too much time looking for a bad ground run a new ground to the circuit,if the trim starts to work then you could go after the factory ground or run your own.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Trim Question

I was able to fix the "up" trim last night. After several days of troubleshooting, I pulled my head out........and discovered some things that are so obvious (now!) that I am embarrassed to share with anyone.

Anyway, the port engine, starboard side sender, I guess for the gauge, was maladjusted by about 45 degrees. I hooked an DVM up to the starboard engine and saw that the sender, at that particular position, was reading 0 ohms. I adjusted the port engine sender to 0 ohms and it now works.

Not sure how this happened. The boat is fairly new and I am guessing has not been worked on but am not sure about that.

Still on for the first run of the season this Saturday although now the temp is supposed to be only in the high 50's

It will still beat mowing the grass!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave98,

Make sure your hinge pin is not backing out. This will be the pin, also where the trim limit switch is mounted, on the left hand side looking forward. If it comes loose, it will change your contact position on the trim limit switch at the gimble ring and make the switch at the helm inoperative. Trailer button will still work as it does not utilize this limit switch. A buddy of mines 34 Viper was doing this same thing. We readjusted the switch as you did until it keep on getting out of adjustment easily, that is when I noticed the loose pin issue. An easy check is to grab the drive at the bottom and try to lift it up and down while someone is watching very close at the pin area for slop. Should be absolutely none. Once those limits are set from the factory, they should not change unless something is moving, such as the hinge pin back out. They don't get out of adjustment for no reason, and your 45 deg out of adjustment would lead me to think it is more than just an out of adjustment item. Double check that hinge pin. These pins are what holds the drive on, so more important than just the switch issue. My buddys pin works loose about twice a yr. We know when it comes loose because his trim switch will stop working right.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I will certainly check it.

I am learning all of the time.