Notices

Props

Old 07-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props

Im new and have a few prop questions. I have a 2000 38 Powerquest with 502 MPI mags. I have 28 pitch Bravo props now turning 5000 RPM at about 71.5, on GPS. How does this compare to you other 380 owners as far as RPM and speed?? Anyone got any ideas for more speed?!?!?!? Has anyone switch sodes with your props so the spin out? My firend has said that will help with bow steer and may get an extra MPH or 2, again, has anyone tried that?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Props

Powerquest 380: First thing to do is put a set of headers on those motors. You will take 326 lbs out of the back end just by replacing those cast iron headers with Stainless Marine ones. That is like leaving a person on the dock. Next thing get a set of lab finish props this will let the motors turn up to 5200 rpm's which is where the rev limiters are set. I switch out my 502 mag's on my 99 380 to a pair of 500efi's and the boat does 82 mph with 30 pitch lab finish props. That is about all it will handle as it starts chime walking in rough water above 80 mph. Anything else just post here.
Blondes Preferred
Old 07-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Spinning out will help you steer but it will also slow you down just aliitle but it all depends on what you want, I am use to the way my drives so I leave them spinning in. I run a 30 pitch 4 blade and need to try a 28 it is difficult to get mine on plane.

Well if you are new we need to see a picture of your ride
Are you going to LOTO for the shootout? There is about 5 or 6 PQs from here that will be there.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Spinning out will help you steer but it will also slow you down just aliitle but it all depends on what you want, I am use to the way my drives so I leave them spinning in. I run a 30 pitch 4 blade and need to try a 28 it is difficult to get mine on plane.

Well if you are new we need to see a picture of your ride
Are you going to LOTO for the shootout? There is about 5 or 6 PQs from here that will be there.
Let me know if you want to go down some evening this week and try the labbed 28s Rich. I'm not going to take mine out with your 30's. I would but since my time with the boat is over, I'm not that curious anymore. But I might be curious with the next one
Old 07-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info!! Much appericated, Im going to try and set them, the props, up spinning out and see how she runs. If it slowes me down much Im changing back. I think I will take you advice and add headers, Im also going to have the hull blueprinted and may shorten the drives. Im also looking into blowers too. So if you guys have any thoughts on that let me know. Are any of you guys from the Grand Haven area? Whos going to the PQ bash this weekend??
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by powerquest 380
Thanks for the info!! Much appericated, Im going to try and set them, the props, up spinning out and see how she runs. If it slowes me down much Im changing back. I think I will take you advice and add headers, Im also going to have the hull blueprinted and may shorten the drives. Im also looking into blowers too. So if you guys have any thoughts on that let me know. Are any of you guys from the Grand Haven area? Whos going to the PQ bash this weekend??
In order to test them out without putting too much work into it just switch them, then put your sticks in forward to go backwards and reverse to go forward. Then if you decide to change them permanently you can do the more timely switch.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered

John,
check out this thread, York Propeller is one of the best, I used 'em a couple years ago and from what I've heard they are WAAAAYY better than Merc @350 a pop, I believe it was 400 for both for my 4 blade 28's.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52383

See You this afternoon, Paul

By the way, with the newly labbed 28's mine did 77-78 on the GPS, presently with them partially nicked up I'm only running 72-73 with full fuel, water and all my crap on board, yes, this my boat is a glorified camper......

Last edited by boathead; 07-22-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tip Paul, I will be checking them out. See you later today.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boathead
John,
check out this thread, York Propeller is one of the best, I used 'em a couple years ago and from what I've heard they are WAAAAYY better than Merc @350 a pop, I believe it was 400 for both for my 4 blade 28's.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52383

See You this afternoon, Paul

By the way, with the newly labbed 28's mine did 77-78 on the GPS, presently with them partially nicked up I'm only running 72-73 with full fuel, water and all my crap on board, yes, this my boat is a glorified camper......
What power are you running? Extension boxes?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Registered

HP 500EFI's, no extension boxes, Bravo I High Performance drives(pre XR) everything is stock no mods.
Paul

Quick Reply: Props

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.