Are these numbers low? >

Are these numbers low?

Notices

Are these numbers low?

Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these numbers low?

Finally got to gps my top speed. I like the speedo numbers better. 97' 38 Avenger, 500HP carbs. 25p 4 blade hydo's, 1.5 Bravos. myself and 120 gallons of fuel and the best I saw was 69.9 on the GPS at 5000-5100rpms. My speedo read 74. What do you think. There was a slight chop and it was 90 degrees. Cruise speed is 47-48 at 3500. Are these numbers ok? I was hoping for low 70's.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Are these numbers low?

My guess is that is correct. I know that may not be what you want to hear but for a non step hull with all the weight that is very good. Oh hell just say it like this well the speedo shows 74 mph, they dont need to know gps. Unless they ask dont tell. Plus 69.9 that is as good as 70 anyway, and it is smooth enough to mix a drink if needed I think PQs run better in chop anyway so it might help to get a little more chop on a cooler day.
Just my .02
Old 07-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pick-me-up, Yeh, I can just say my GPS reads a little on the slow side. That and rounding up my numbers. It's not so bad. Maybe my new plug wires and stereo will net me a few mph too
Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree a lttle more chop and you should be able to air that hull out. I would think a good 2-3 ' should give you a better read. Don't get me wrong your not going to see a gain of 5mph + ,,,,,but 2-3 would be in reason. Plus the humidity will play a big factor. I lost 2-3 from the fall in this hot weather.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Registered

Re: Are these numbers low?

Josh,
Last summer I was running with 6 onboard, 3/4 tank fuel, and in 4-6 foot chop and I was hitting 72 on GPS. I think the chop really made a difference here! I was surprised when I looked down, I was expecting maybe 60-65mph.

95 38- non step w/ 600's
Mike
P.S. Let me know what the new plugs and wires do
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just ran a set of labbed 28 4 blade tonight and had a great hole shoot and mid range punch but the top dropped off. The best I saw was 71.1 GPS, now it is very humid and hot today (89 at test time with no chop at all) so I think I would have only seen 74 to 75 with my 30s but still quite a top end drop. I was bouncing the rev limiter alot. I did like two of the three things they did for me though Oh well just keep trying something different.

Thanks MENTALPAUSE for the use of the props.

Rich.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
I just ran a set of labbed 28 4 blade tonight and had a great hole shoot and mid range punch but the top dropped off. The best I saw was 71.1 GPS, now it is very humid and hot today (89 at test time with no chop at all) so I think I would have only seen 74 to 75 with my 30s but still quite a top end drop. I was bouncing the rev limiter alot. I did like two of the three things they did for me though Oh well just keep trying something different.

Thanks MENTALPAUSE for the use of the props.

Rich.
I think I liked the cold ones afterward best . IMO, and what do I know, the hull needs lift. I think it would be very interesting to try a 5 blade.

I felt we were popping the rev limiters way too early. But the hole shot and midrange was very nice.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all of you guys running 4 blade Bravo's? I just tried a labbed Bravo on my 26 with very poor results. But I have a feeling the boats just to light and short. It provided way to much lift!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My 24 and 29 I just ran 3 blades unlabed
Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
My 24 and 29 I just ran 3 blades unlabed
But we were running 4 blades last nite, 28 labbed. And the boat has 4 blade 30s on it now, not labbed. Props are turning in.

My old 27 PQ had bravo 3 drives. It had ok lift. That boat had a tendency to get bow rise in the rough water. I used the tabs a lot when I had that boat. Looking back I don't think the Bravo 3 was a very good choice, but I have never been on another 27 PQ with a Bravo 1 either.

Quick Reply: Are these numbers low?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.