Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Powerquest scaring me away >

Powerquest scaring me away

Notices

Powerquest scaring me away

Old 01-18-2002, 07:23 PM
jpc

Post Powerquest scaring me away

I've been starting to kick some new fiberglass. I'm considering Donzi, Formula and of course Powerquest. They're just starting to scare me, no longer "family" owned, dealers bailing out, not showing up at the Toronto show and no one saying they will be in Detroit. Why is this happening?

Old 01-18-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Well let me tell you this. Since the dealer
I purchased my boat from is no longer selling
Powerquest all my warranty work that I need done is going to happen at the factory. Powerquest is even going to come and pick up my boat before the season, and they promised me I would have it back in time for the start of the boating season (The factory is 3 hrs. away). I don't even own a trailer (Rack Storage). Now that's backing their boats.
Old 01-19-2002, 05:23 AM
noclue

I just found out that they do not even have any sales rep working for the factory. It seems like it is a whole new group of people in the office now.

Old 01-19-2002, 06:38 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have a hand full of dealers in my area. All very knowledgeable and willing to handle warranty work even if they did not sell the boat.

I guess it is like any area of the country. Some places have a lot of dealer support and other areas do not.

Look at Active Thunder and some of the other boat builders. You HAVE no choice but to haul cross country in order to get warranty work done. I guess in some cases it is a part of the business.

Just last year I had a warranty issue on my PQ relating to a torn vinyl sundeck. My local dealer was asked to fix it and he looked at it and said it would be best if the entire sundeck was sent to PQ so that the replacement vinyl matched exactly. I decided to trailer it to the factory so that I could get it done right and get a tour of the factory. They fixed it right away and as Rick28 said, delivered it to my front door.

Not to many manufactures would do that and I am a pretty good distance away (unless I boat across the big Lake ) LOL
Old 01-19-2002, 08:44 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are no dealers in my area. I had a 2000 280, and PQ gave me the best customer service I've ever seen. I now have a 02 340, and needed a few minor things, they are right on the spot.

My 280 was built when PQ was family owned and my 340 is under the new ownership. The build quality is better on the newer boat. From what I have heard, the new owners have the $$$ to take PQ to the next level. They are cutting out marginal dealers. They are spending lots more money on advertising, boat shows, etc. Most importantly they are looking to really improve the products.

When PQVyper340 went to the factory to see his boat being built, he asked the workers some pretty interesting questions. What he got back was, PQ was putting more into the boats now, they are made MUCH more beefy than they were just 2 years ago!!
I view the new ownership as a good thing. The product has evolved into a better boat.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of you know of my issues with PQ. I had extensive hull repairs done do to bad decisions (old owners) or control.
Although they have not satisfied all my demands (new hull or boat) they have gone the extra mile to make things right.
They make themselves available to me anytime I call. I have also received many extras from them to help calm the situation.

The change of ownership and my experience with the different people I've worked with through the last couple of years has left me with the opinion that they are much more professional and product change and quality has become first. I'm sure they do not want boats like mine back and forth every year. As far as the boat show thing they will be at quite a few this year with factory people. Too sum it up I think for you guys buying new boats will be happy with your decision. As far as I go it has been a struggle that we continue to work together on and the future of my 38 looks good. I do miss working with Kevin sometimes a Handshake and how ya doing was a nice touch. (Have not met the new owners)

I think anyone considering a new or used PQ could do a lot worse and should NOT worry about the direction the company has decided to go. Sometimes change is good
Old 01-19-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too recently purchased a 280 in the same area as Bill R and PQVyper340. The closest dealer is 300 miles away. P.Q. has met every expectation of my purchase. I admit, it would be nice to have a dealer in our backyard. But as long as P.Q. can provide unparalled customer support, the dealer can be as far away as they want to be. Until the day comes (I doubt it will)when P.Q. and I don't see eye to eye, I can only provide positive comments on their customer support.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Kentz

As the third largest owners group on OSO according to total posts to date, we are great cheerleaders.

I'm on my 2nd PQ and love my boat as we all do. It saddens me to read your post, but I certainly understand were you're coming from. Silence is deafening

Old 01-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PQ is great and they make a great product! They are very focused on customer support and Mark Winia, the Warranty Manager, does a great job ensuring that the satisfaction of the boat owner is a top priority. Mandi Brower at PQ also does a great job!

I would however offer my experience with a particular PQ dealer in PA as one reason to consider the dealer CAREFULLY! After my experience purchasing something that costs more than many homes, I will not be returning my business to that dealer. They have NOT backed-up the superior service and support that the factory offers. In fact, I made several personal trips to the factory during my boats construction (over 2 months) but never once heard from the dealer as to the progress. If I had not made the trips, I HIGHLY doubt that I would have known anything about my boats progress until a couple of days prior to delivery. UNSAT for a dealer selling high end products of which only an estimated 15 340 Vyper's are made per year!

Another point that ranks even higher on the scale of disappointment is the manufacturers choice not to monitor the development of the dealer network. By this I mean that the dealer in question here has seriously damaged the reputation of the manufacturer in my eyes and cast a shadow of doubt as to my future purchases and any remarks towards the end product.

While I feel that PQ offers exceptional products at a great value I only caution you to carefully critique the dealership that you choose to do business with. Ask anyone of us who has pruchased them and we'll tell you what we can.

Caveat Emptor

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: PQVyper340 ]
Old 01-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TurnItOn - I have been with Powerquest for almost 4 years. I have seen several changes in the last four years. The entire sales department has changed, the production layout has change, the owners have changed, and my jobs have changed. I assure you that everything has been for the better. There are continous improvements being made. We have took some measures to cut some cost to keep our boats at a price that is right for our buyers. I can also assure you that we do everything possible to make our customers as happy as they can be with your purchase. I have worked personally with several of these guys that have responded to your message. I would like to offer if at all possible, please come to the factory and I would love to show you our process. Also I have been updating our website for the list of boat shows. Please go to www.powerquestboats.com to check it out. Also feel free to email me with any questions that you may have.

Thanks,
Mandi

Quick Reply: Powerquest scaring me away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.