wiring problems with nav lights on 270 laser heeeeeelp

Notices

wiring problems with nav lights on 270 laser heeeeeelp

Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiring problems with nav lights on 270 laser heeeeeelp

I almost give up. Had to replace the nav switch in my boat (long story). When i uninstalled the switch I left the butt connectors attached to the wires that plugged into it. I would think it would be plug and play but only to find the front nav lights do not want to work. I have ruled out a burnt bulb by testing the light on a direct line. Cany ANYONE give me insight?

Last edited by pkspx; 08-23-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wiring problems with nav lights on 270 laser heeeeeelp

You probably have done this already but did you check the new switch with a multimeter? In the circuit and switched off, you should have 12 volts across it. Closed the voltage should go away. You could also check for continuity across the switch with the wires disconnected. If that is OK, I would check the connectors as corrosion could be the culprit.

Good Luck,
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave98
You probably have done this already but did you check the new switch with a multimeter? In the circuit and switched off, you should have 12 volts across it. Closed the voltage should go away. You could also check for continuity across the switch with the wires disconnected. If that is OK, I would check the connectors as corrosion could be the culprit.

Good Luck,
I'll check it out but the ancor lights up when I turn on the nav lights..
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Did you buy that same type switch? probably a different output of the terminals then what you had before....Can you give us any pics?
The wires are usually gray and black for the Nav lights....the gray being the + side of the electrical connection....that being said all your black wires should be joined together at a common grounding point.
The anchor light is usually a gray/wht. So depending on how the switch itself is setup you would need to plug the correct wires to the right terminals....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its from Livorsi marine, orignal equipment switches for pq carlingswtich i think is the brand. The gray wire coming from the front nav lights plug into the switch but when turned on the light does no turn on, only the anchor light works...Maybe i have a ground issue you think? Or should I really tare apart the cabin and inspect the wires all way way back?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I guess where i would start is by sepperating all the wires at the switch and label them as to what they do.....test each wire directly and see if it ok and lights up the corresponding light.....seeing your anchor light works.....check the transom light if you have one and then check the wire going to the nav light. Carlington makes a few different variation of switches....even though the switch may look the same on the outside it doesnt mean its internally done the same way.....so either take a look at the side of the switch (sometimes the terminal hook up is displayed on the switch) or get the instructions from Carlington directly...you may even be able to find it online...i have done that before. You probably just have the nav light wire on the wrong terminal i bet....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!