270 Laser IMCO Shorty results

Notices

270 Laser IMCO Shorty results

Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Top speed record 270 laser

Finally back in Lauderdale, got the boat in few days ago and have been playing around with it. Over the past 3 months, had Doller Offshore rebuild the outdrive and install a 2" shorty IMCO unit. Still running 4 blade hydromotive 23 pitch, didn't need to change anything. Boat seems to be ALOT more responsive!!!!!!!!! Have been seeing better speeds too!! Haven't run WOT yet but have noticed all the way round mph gains. 4000rpms was tested before the upgrade at 40mph and now hitting 46.7 on the GPS but was hard to really tell because of the condtions on the ocean. Even so, it STILL REAL good. 4700rpms I saw speeds of 57mph. Overall, it was well worth it! Pics to come soon!!!

:::UPDATES:::
Happy to report the IMCO drive unit was worth EVERY peny!! New top speed with the lower unit is 66.0 GPS. This was with the same prop as before when I ran 62.7 with the stock bravo 1 drive. Very pleased with the results. Had to play with the tabs and trim out more then normal though, thinking I need longer trim tabs now or just got much engine for the little hull. She starts to chime walk alot more now no mater how mcuh tabs you give her. Seas were two feet or less.

Last edited by pkspx; 02-18-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting your results. Keep updating as you play with the set up. I have a 95 270 and think my X is too low. I have stock 454 Mag efi 385hp and not sure how much of a difference it would make on mine. What did the the IMCO and install cost if you don't mind sharing?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

I dont have a PQ, but im interested in your results... keep it coming..
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

NEW TOP SPEED

GPS 66.0 stock 62.7 before the shorty!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

Congratulations. It sounds like it was worth the money.

I am interested in the chine-walk. Did you have it before? Is it worse now? I would like to test some shorties out on my 300 Revenge. In certain lake conditions I have chine-walk now. A friend taught me how to drive through it but I in no way want to increase the possibility of it getting worse.

I am leaving for Palm Coast for a week this Sunday. Cannot wait to leave the snow and ice!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Registered

Congrats on the mph increase.If you put your prop shaft parallel to the ground,where is it in relation to the drain plug?Above or below ?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

How bad did the Imco hurt planing/acceleration?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Slick02
How bad did the Imco hurt planing/acceleration?
Not as bad as I had thought, but it does take a tad bit longer to get on plane now.

Originally Posted by Bob280Silencer
Congrats on the mph increase.If you put your prop shaft parallel to the ground,where is it in relation to the drain plug?Above or below ?
not really sure, didn't really pay attention. boat is in lauderdale still so I wont be realy able to answer that.

Originally Posted by speed demon
Thanks for posting your results. Keep updating as you play with the set up. I have a 95 270 and think my X is too low. I have stock 454 Mag efi 385hp and not sure how much of a difference it would make on mine. What did the the IMCO and install cost if you don't mind sharing?
Probably need to measure the X and see what it is first. But Im guessing if my 270 is too deep yours will probably be as well. Cost depends if you buy it with or without internals. I paid about 3500 without internals.

Originally Posted by Dave98
Congratulations. It sounds like it was worth the money.

I am interested in the chine-walk. Did you have it before? Is it worse now? I would like to test some shorties out on my 300 Revenge. In certain lake conditions I have chine-walk now. A friend taught me how to drive through it but I in no way want to increase the possibility of it getting worse.

I am leaving for Palm Coast for a week this Sunday. Cannot wait to leave the snow and ice!
Ever since I did the engine work, the boat has never really played the same. With the tabs down at negitive, it would run pretty good. Now i have to use more tabs to get it stable. It still likes to walk, I shut it down before I really had a chance to really get to plan with the tabs like I wanted too. I'll keep everyone posted though when I run her in May again.

Last edited by pkspx; 02-20-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Was your previous high speed in fresh or salt water? No personal experience but have heard the salt water buys you a little extra.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
Was your previous high speed in fresh or salt water? No personal experience but have heard the salt water buys you a little extra.
yes, I forgot to mention. Both top speed runs were in salt water.

Quick Reply: 270 Laser IMCO Shorty results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.