Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260? >

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Notices

Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

I am tossing around the idea of having the bottem tweaked on the 260 I just bought. My boat guy says it can probably be done for between 1500 and 3 K. I really like the boat I just bought...just sitten their lookin at it! My guy thinks the issues talked about before can be solved so that the boat can cut loose and get in the 80's. What do you guys think?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You maybe entering new territory on the 26? I've heard of a few guys with the larger PQ's having bottom work done. What are you going to have done?? Has the guy seen the boat yet or did you just describe the bottom over the phone?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
You maybe entering new territory on the 26? I've heard of a few guys with the larger PQ's having bottom work done. What are you going to have done?? Has the guy seen the boat yet or did you just describe the bottom over the phone?
Just in the thinking about it stage now. Basically take the hook out and address the anti-porposing crap molded in the hull. He has not seen the boat yet...says he thinks it can be done. Am hoping to get a lot of feedback on this. I certainly don't wanna take much of a risk and F up the boat!

I love a sleeper! Would love to see the faces of those in the know when a powerquest flies by doin better than 80!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

So, you remove the hook and then the boat porpoises horribly. Then what do you do? You add K-planes and drag them to keep the nose from bouncing which scubs speed. In the end, how much do you gain?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
So, you remove the hook and then the boat porpoises horribly. Then what do you do? You add K-planes and drag them to keep the nose from bouncing which scubs speed. In the end, how much do you gain?
I would like to know why the boat would porpose so badly? That just doesn't make since! Is the boat out of balance?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

The shingle in the rear keeps the boat from porpoising!
If it didnt why wouldnt the factory remove it
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was to understand the rockers were put into place to allow the hull to plan much faster without the need of tabs. Which I mite ad works very well. I to be honest very rarely use my tabs other than if it gets pretty rough. I've seen several 26's without tabs. As for the hook I'd have to but a straight edge on mine to see if there is one. If so it would interesting to see what would happen if it were removed. I wonder if thats why the 26 gets loose at top speed in flat waters?? Dancing on the hook.....................
Old 12-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don't think the hook is in the water above 70. We did some testing on a 260 and you will need to drive it to keep from chime walking at speed in smooth water. The one we worked on did not have tabs, but had hydraulic steering assist.

I would set how far toward the keel the hook goes. As FastFoward said, maybe the chime walk is from hitting on the hooks from side to side.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I would like to know why the boat would porpose so badly? That just doesn't make since! Is the boat out of balance?
I believe at one time there was a thread on OSO that adressed why boat's porpoise and what the manufactures do to the hulls to eliminate it. I don't know of anyone or have read of anyone modifying a 260 PQ hull. I do know of somone that took similar style hull and made the modifications you are thinking of making and they were less than pleased with the results. In the end, the only way to know for sure how the bottom will react is to find someone that knows what they are doing and make the changes. I would just have a hard time doing this to my boat not knowing what the outcome may be. Instead, I would find a faster hull boat. PQ's were never known as a fast hull. If you do decide to modify the bottom, please post your results. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I believe at one time there was a thread on OSO that adressed why boat's porpoise and what the manufactures do to the hulls to eliminate it. I don't know of anyone or have read of anyone modifying a 260 PQ hull. I do know of somone that took similar style hull and made the modifications you are thinking of making and they were less than pleased with the results. In the end, the only way to know for sure how the bottom will react is to find someone that knows what they are doing and make the changes. I would just have a hard time doing this to my boat not knowing what the outcome may be. Instead, I would find a faster hull boat. PQ's were never known as a fast hull. If you do decide to modify the bottom, please post your results. Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes. I, like you do not want to take a chance. That is why I posted this question. I had hoped that perhaps someone had done something similiar. I would definately drop 2 or 3K if this project would work. I already have all the other ingedients I need(full hydraulic steering,600+HP procharged 454) and the desire to have a solid 80MPH boat! I will say I didn't realize the hull would be limited to 70! Even if I did I probably still would've bought the boat! Just tossin around some ideas and trying to decide which direction I wanna go.

I talked to Velocity a little...thought about buying a new 28 without power(He thought it would run in 88-92MPH range with my power). Had one an order had been cancelled on but he wasn't hungry enough to make it fit my budget! That boat weighs basically the same as the Powerquest. I am very curious as to what the big differences in the hull design are.
Please bear with me as I am learning and listening very closely as I go!

Quick Reply: Has anyone every had any bottom work done on a 260?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.