280 Drive upgrades- 2" shorty?

Notices

280 Drive upgrades- 2" shorty?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh
Originally Posted by specialk
I am super gentle on my boat getting on plane. It ALWAYS blows out as it starts to roll over. It goes again but I think it is always slipping. I can literally rev up the engine while cruising with minimal increase in speed. I feel it is always slipping. 3500 rpm is 40 mph for me. Top speed is 74 gps at 4900. (496ho with 3.5 boost procharger 28 bravo 1 4 blade) I am thinking a spacer will get the prop in cleaner water and help with cruise speed and top end. I am trying to find a couple different sizes to borrow before I spend $400 a crack to try.

Hey Verbie, what kind of speeds are you seeing with your power? Top end and cruising?
hey can you measure your prop shaft to bottom of keel and post it. what speed did you have at 4000rpm also. I might have a idea for thr both of you. with a box if your two high that will get you deeper. if your deep or so so a imco 3'' raised box helps. there is a 25ol with 525 merc would run 74gps with a prop change to a 28b1 and imco 3'' raised box went 81mph with a merc 600 same box and 1'' shortie was running gps87 to 89.I take it your prop is stock, post your height and I could give you advise on either needing a box which one or your perfect and need brett to adjust your prop your rpms are low for your set up you could pick up speed with one of the following height is fine work prop, height is low go to box with raised3'' orprop is high go to box or 5 blades, like Isaid my boat with standard height would rev if I did not pull back with 3 and 4 blades. so if you to give me the numbers I will try and help thats what oso is about. the b1 prop is a bow lifting which is good for you guys.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 01-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Air Time. Not sure when I will get around to measuring, it is tucked away for winter. Dont forget the 280 PQ is a stepped hull. A box would be getting a little carried away for the kind of boating I do. It would start with the box, then need k-planes then upgrade drive then run a little more boost...etc. I love the boat but toying the idea of a 30 something foot with twins. However, 5 mph extra with my present package would get me thinking.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get my lazy but off the couch and get in the garage hopefully tonight to do the measuring....I keep forgetting.
If there is more mph left in the boat to be had with some drive work I'm in for that...it is probably cheaper then putting in more hp. We love the boat...just wanna go faster!!
Thanks for all the input....I really appreciate it!!
Thanks,
Mike.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by verbi69
I'll get my lazy but off the couch and get in the garage hopefully tonight to do the measuring....I keep forgetting.
If there is more mph left in the boat to be had with some drive work I'm in for that...it is probably cheaper then putting in more hp. We love the boat...just wanna go faster!!
Thanks for all the input....I really appreciate it!!
Thanks,
Mike.
stepped is goodmost of the time have a higher x.once you guys post the height I will look overwhat I have on stepped hulls for height. with a box k planes and hyd steering is a must. jon on here has a duel set up, and I have a single set for sale.but 1st lets see where the props are. forshaft height
Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

i just went and measured mine, best I can tell it's 4.5" from btm to cl of prop shaft, keep in mine I have a 1" spacer.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I just went and measured my drive height and I am at 5 1/2" as best I could tell.
Set up is a 496 ho with Bravo X drive.
I also measured the X dimension- centre of gimbal ring to centre of prop shaft and it is at 22" as best I could tell there also.
I appreciate everyone taking their time to help out!
Thanks,
Mike.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Air Time, what do you have for hydraulic steering that is for sale??
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like I am at about 5 1/2 inches. Should the prop shaft be level when measuring or drive all of the way down. I measured all of the way down which does not seem right. I didnt feel like connecting batteries to raise drive to make shaft level. Also, I am assuming we should measure from back of the boat and not the lowest part which is the front section of the step.
The notched section at the transom is 6".
Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered

mine wasnt perfectly level so I may be closer to 5.5", it was about 30 degress out so I didnt spend too much time out there.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sounds like we have the same setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.