Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL >

Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL

Notices

Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL

Old 04-28-2002, 05:04 PM
sfarrah

Default Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL

I'm considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL with a 454 MAG EFI with 445 hours on it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what things I should look for when I go to see it? Are there any known problems with these boats? I am new to the boating world so would appreciate any help you could offer. Also, what would be considered a reasonable price for this boat?
It does have some rips in the vinyl, estimated at $750 to repair.
The owner claims it will run 61MPH. Does this sound reasonable and is this boat too large to ski behind?
Also, if anyone has any pictures of this boat, mostly interior shots, I'd appreciate if you could email them to [email protected].
Thanks,
Sean Farrah
Attached Thumbnails Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL-257xlpowerquest.jpg  

Old 04-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know much about the Hull. Condition would normally show abuse. But with 400+ Hours on the engine I would certainly have some one check it out, Leak down test ect. The drive should be checked too. Get some one that is qualified. If you dont know much about marine engines and drives I would highly reccomend getting someone. I made the BIG mistake of not hiring a survey done. Live and learn - a lot.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, that boat was a very solid design. Perfect for skiing behind and plenty of power with the 454EFI. The speed you listed is very reasonable but like Ray said, make sure you hire a surveyer to go over the boat. 445 hours is getting up there without a rebuild so make sure you check it all out.

Does it have bolster seats? I think that boat only came with them however you might want to check.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2002, 09:06 AM
sfarrah

Default Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the info guys. I guess I need to find someone to survey the boat for me. Does anyone know someone qualified in the Dallas area?
As for the bolster seats, yes, it does have them. I just rec'd a few additional pics of the interior this morning.
I really want this boat. Someone has put a retainer on it but has't made up their mind yet. Hopefully they don't buy it before I get a chance to.

Old 04-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, your best bet is to post a new thread on the General Discussion area "need surveyor in Dallas area". I am sure you will get some good recommondations from the board. Ask the board if they know anything about prices for surveying .

How much is the guy asking?

Is the trailer included?, if so, check the tires, lights, bearings.

Good Luck and hope to welcome you to the PQ family.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 PM
sfarrah

Default Marine Max

I found a place called MarineMax in Lewisville, just south of Dallas that will check out the boat for $150. Yes, the trailer is included so I'll have to check that out too. According to other prices I see on the net, this boat seems to be a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will be mine soon. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

sfarrah,
I have a 98 260. I love it! It's not too big or small. It handles the water really great with no suprises. I have a 454 mag with the carb 350 hp. It runs 63. If you have the Efi mag you should do a little better. Is that the 385 hp? I didn't think they had the efi Mag in 95. Good luck I hope you get the boat! Keep us posted.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:32 PM
sfarrah

Default 385hp

is correct according to the brochure that powerquest faxed me. I'll have to check with the owner to be sure it is the EFI model, but I assume if it went faster than 61MPH he would say so. I am scheduled to look at it this saturday. I just hope it is not sold by then.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont get too anxious to buy, There are many many nice used boats out there, did you check boattrader.com for comparables? Make sure you do a test drive and make the deal contingent on that too. Believe me you dont want to buy a project boat when you dont expect to.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:59 PM
sfarrah

I've been searching boattraderonline, iboats.com and anything else I can find on the net for a few weeks now. This boat is going for about 10 grand less than most other 257's I can find on the net. Powerquest doesn't seem like a big name in Texas, so maybe that's why it's not going for more. I am supposed to test drive it this sat and if it works fine I will have it checked at a marina next week. I certainly don't want a project boat as I have heard nightmares about getting good work done on boats at a reasonable price. Plus I want to get it into the water, not into the shop! Once again, I appreciate the advice. I am not normally an impulse buyer and will definitely have it checked out before I drop the cash down on it.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 1995 Powerquest 257XL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.