hooked on 270 >

hooked on 270

Notices

hooked on 270

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooked on 270

i read on oso that the 270 lazer have some ''hook'' on them...as i just repowered mine,please explain the expression...i went from 385hp to 640hp...boat not tested yet...if this is a bad thing,can it be fixed/improved?
thanks
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

someone??
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Since no one else chimed in, I'll give it a shot. A "hook" is found at the bottom of the transom where it meets the hull. Kind of like the transom has dropped slightly so there's not a nice 90 degree edge. Don't know of any issues other than losing a little top end speed. If it's real bad, I guess it could lift the rear/lower the bow (like applying a little tabs). Can be fixed, but that's beyond me................
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

thanks...that's exactly what i wanted to know
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

PQ among other builders have done it. It can be removed but is alot of work and knowledge. It helps you get on plane and stay on plane at lower speeds without having to use much if any tab. will cost you a couple mph top end. even with the hook, with 640hp you should be able to run mid 70s all day id think
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

PQJack,

I have a 1994 270. I am planning an engine swap this winter along with adding external steering. I may also have to replace my original dual ram sport tabs with a real set of K-planes. I have just started doing my homework. My goals are reliability (we cruise the NC coast quite a bit), cruise in the high 40's/low 50's, & top out in the 70's. I was leaning towards a big cube, carb motor, but if I recall from your other posts, you went with a 496 + Whipple = major additional HP...

1) What type of top end r u seeing?
2) How about your cruise speed & fuel?
3) What drive r u running?
4) What prop r u running?
5) Most importantly, how is your 270 behaving at those speeds?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but knowing your experience w/ a big power upgrade in a 270 would be of great help.

Thanks !
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

actually,my experience is somehow limited,as i only took the boat out twice this summer...engine is fresh,so i took it easy both times...so far,im impressed with the new power....i had a hard time getting on plane with the stock power(454 mag efi),spinning a 21p mirage...now,pushing a 25p mirage plus,getting on plane seems sooooo easy,power is everywhere...i used to run out of steam at 4850@63-64 mph...now im running 3800 for same speed...drive is a b1,running amsoil synt.and a max machine top cap..just ordered their drive shower...
when engine is broken in,im sure i can spin a 27p,close to 80 mph.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

what's your current engine?...i havent done the other mods you mentioned,but one you'd find very useful is the trim on the throttle change over...i had bought a sidemount whipple for the 454(still have it)but the deal on the 496 was.....incredible:0 hours,all beefy internals,and of course the whipple.
the 454 mag was taking a bit of oil,and was due for a rebuild.