Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Powerquest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest-49/)
-   -   New owner of Powerquest? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest/268947-new-owner-powerquest.html)

32velocity 01-20-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA (Post 3596924)
The little smiley dude getting drunk at the end of my post was supposed to indicate sarcasm. --------> :food-smiley-009:

Honestly, Im scratching my head saying WTF like everyone else. It really doesnt affect me one way or another, but hey, its winter, I havent posted inwhile and its been a fun story to follow.

whoops ,,, how'd you say ? "my bad" :drink:

DENNYB 01-20-2012 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3597477)
care to share ????
are you involved with the new PQ again???

Tom,
I am back where my roots all started in this business with Doug Smith at Checkmate.
We are doing major changes adding and face lifting our boatline going into Checkmates 50th year in boating.

I heard about who, what, and where on PQ. I am not at liberty to say because my involvement in the industry.
Also we did not bid on any of the parts and pieces because of the products age.
Denny

golfmaxgolf 01-20-2012 11:39 AM

Can't wait to hear from the "industry insiders" what really happened? And what will? Rich GMG

DENNYB 01-20-2012 12:57 PM

things have changed

Look At The Auction Web Site.

As Of Today, Claremont Has Either Matched or Won The Rights To The Molds.
Looks Like He Has Claimed Everything.

Makes Sense.

An Agreement Must Have Transacted In The Last Couple Of Days Between Those Two High Bidders.

One can't operate without the others tooling and building materials.

Knot 4 Me 01-20-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3597670)
Tom,
I am back where my roots all started in this business with Doug Smith at Checkmate.
We are doing major changes adding and face lifting our boatline going into Checkmates 50th year in boating.

I heard about who, what, and where on PQ. I am not at liberty to say because my involvement in the industry.
Denny

Might want to update your avatar.

verbi69 01-20-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3597744)
Might want to update your avatar.

Good eye!!

boatnt 01-20-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3597670)
Tom,

Denny

Good Luck at Checkmate...
I allways liked Checkmate...I think their gel work is second to none..

DENNYB 01-21-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3598009)
Good Luck at Checkmate...
I allways liked Checkmate...I think their gel work is second to none..

Thank you !

If your ever interested ? just let me know.
We have a few new surprises coming.

AJ POWERPLAY 01-21-2012 07:41 AM

Any step hulls??

DENNYB 01-21-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ajfisher (Post 3598186)
Any step hulls??

In the next five years a couple of New larger offshore performance models added in the works probably will.

You might see one new larger model soon.

Also a all new 26 is very hot with a deeper cockpit with standup drop down bolsters and a flat rear transom available with 8.2"s up to a 700 SCI .
The rear transom is also set for the outboard option as well.
A very deep hullsided water running boat will be ready in February.
We already have begun taken orders.

Shogren Performance will have the all new 26 at there upcoming open house this Spring. It will be a 2013 model.

The present line up of hulls are so right on with any engine combination and weight, no reason to change.

Thank you for asking.

POWERPLAY J 01-21-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3598195)
In the next five years a couple of New larger offshore performance models added in the works probably will.

Also a all new 26 is very hot and will be introduced in February.

Shogren Performance will have the all new 26 at there upcoming open house this Spring.It will be a 2013 model.

The present line up of hulls are so right on with any engine combination and weight, no reason to change.
Thank you for asking.

Hope you guys do well. I loved my CM, very straight and great gel work. It's also nice to see you haven't thrown a step on every model.

DENNYB 01-21-2012 08:25 AM

Build it right and the boat will last

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3598204)
Hope you guys do well. I loved my CM, very straight and great gel work. It's also nice to see you haven't thrown a step on every model.

Checkmate continues to build everyboat, 18 on up all by hand. No short cut chopper gun like many others use. Even the 1st layer of skin coat of fiberglass is rolled out and laid by hand.
So the weight to resin ratio is presise along with the proper curing process.
Checkmate builds the boat one at a time and take your time. You end up with a teriffic finish and a solid performing boat.
No boat at Checkmate is ever massed produced.We frown on it and then it creates problems for the dealer, customer and us.
50 years of Checkmate boats says it all.

verbi69 01-21-2012 10:10 AM

Did you guys ever build another 34, you know the one modeled after the Baja 342?
I have only seen the ugly blue and yellow one...please take no offence, not my favorite color combination.

Need4SpeedGTCS 01-21-2012 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=DENNYB;3598195]In the next five years a couple of New larger offshore performance models added in the works probably will.

Also a all new 26 is very hot with a deeper cockpit with standup drop down bolsters and a flat rear transom available with 8.2"s up to a 700 SCI .
The rear transom is also set for the outboard option as well.
A very deep hullsided water running boat will be ready in February.

I like the ZT 350...will be interesting to see some larger models and deeper cockpits.

verbi69 01-21-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Need4SpeedGTCS (Post 3598273)

I like the ZT 350...will be interesting to see some larger models and deeper cockpits.

Thats what it was called...thanks, it had slipped my mind.

That boat loaded with blue motors, maybe 600 or 700's even would be an awesome ride.

DENNYB 01-21-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3598268)
Did you guys ever build another 34, you know the one modeled after the Baja 342?
I have only seen the ugly blue and yellow one...please take no offence, not my favorite color combination.

Offended?? No at at all.
You or any Checkmate customer can choose any color on our web site then click on colors build your boat section.
Every he or she customer has different taste in graphic's, colors, options and engines.Yes we have built a few 350 ZT models.

We try to please our customers as much as we possibly can.
You will like what's coming in a way of new models.
Just ask Scott Shogren owner of Shogren Performance Marine.

The Checkmate customer base following is loyal and one of the largest.

JUST A COUPLE OF WORDS:
As once part of, I am deeply sadden on the Powerquest situation. From 1996- 2002 Powerquest Boats was on the verge of a being the top name brand in performance boating. After inside internal problems, it demised everything of its future.

boatnt 01-21-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3598297)
JUST A COUPLE OF WORDS:
As once part of, I am deeply sadden on the Powerquest situation. From 1996- 2002 Powerquest Boats was on the verge of a being the top name brand in performance boating. After inside internal problems, it demised everything of its future.

DENNYB
Yep PQ was on top of their game back then...Sad what bad management could do to a company..

Do you recall who PQ got to redisign the 300 now known as the Revenge???
was it Marine Concepts???

DENNYB 01-21-2012 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3598353)
DENNYB
Yep PQ was on top of their game back then...Sad what bad management could do to a company..

Do you recall who PQ got to redisign the 300 now known as the Revenge???
was it Marine Concepts???

John Cosker hull design, tooling by Marine Concepts.

32velocity 01-21-2012 12:37 PM

so claremont gets the molds for the price he and steelhead ran them up too ,, cept obviously steelhead didnt want them ,, so claremont paid approx 450 k for everything,, hope he makes it work ,, maybe get PQ name and start it all again

boatnt 01-21-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3598355)
John Cosker hull design, tooling by Marine Concepts.

John Cosker of Mystic Powerboats??

verbi69 01-21-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3598397)
John Cosker of Mystic Powerboats??

Is that why your 300 is sooo fast?????:grinser010:

AJ POWERPLAY 01-21-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3598439)

She ain't no 290... :lolhit:

pq man 01-21-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3598439)

Verbi don't swell his head anymore pm Tom a price on your 38 he has been in th 30 to long its time for him to change the boat is dialed in he needs something else to do

boatnt 01-21-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by pq man (Post 3598450)
Verbi don't swell his head anymore pm Tom a price on your 38 he has been in th 30 to long its time for him to change the boat is dialed in he needs something else to do

are you saying Verbis boat needs to get dialed in?????

pq man 01-21-2012 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3598459)
are you saying Verbis boat needs to get dialed in?????

No but you know you can't leave well enough alone

verbi69 01-21-2012 04:27 PM

You think he's ready for such a beast???

DENNYB 01-23-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 32velocity (Post 3598386)
so claremont gets the molds for the price he and steelhead ran them up too ,, cept obviously steelhead didnt want them ,, so claremont paid approx 450 k for everything,, hope he makes it work ,, maybe get PQ name and start it all again

It is going to New York.

Josh LaFountain 01-23-2012 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3599855)
It is going to New York.

So thay are opening a boat plant in new york? and it wont be called PQ but will be the same boat molds?

fleg1 01-23-2012 03:50 PM

Looks like claremont got the 38 that was under construction and the Sutphen that Steelhead had won!!!!

XT-Innovator 01-23-2012 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 3598297)
Offended?? No at at all.
You or any Checkmate customer can choose any color on our web site then click on colors build your boat section.
Every he or she customer has different taste in graphic's, colors, options and engines.Yes we have built a few 350 ZT models.

We try to please our customers as much as we possibly can.
You will like what's coming in a way of new models.
Just ask Scott Shogren owner of Shogren Performance Marine.

The Checkmate customer base following is loyal and one of the largest.

JUST A COUPLE OF WORDS:

DennyB,

Would you know a guy that once owned a Baja 420 triple that named his engines "Larry, Curly, & Moe" ?? :drink:

I can fully understand how you were saddened with the PQ demise having myself went through the 2008 closing of Baja. The Powerquest action reminded me of the employee actions at Baja on much of their junk, but we had it much better. In comparison I was the second highest bidder on a set of (4) yard arms for $125.00 each. They sold to another Baja employee that paid $130.00 ea.

We now do much of Checkmate's interior design and production seats. I also agree there are good things around the corner with the new models. At least the powerboat magazines will have something to do stories on new boat model designs.

Check out our website:
xt-innovations.com
Dave

DENNYB 01-24-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator (Post 3600229)
DennyB,

Would you know a guy that once owned a Baja 420 triple that named his engines "Larry, Curly, & Moe" ?? :drink:

I can fully understand how you were saddened with the PQ demise having myself went through the 2008 closing of Baja. The Powerquest action reminded me of the employee actions at Baja on much of their junk, but we had it much better. In comparison I was the second highest bidder on a set of (4) yard arms for $125.00 each. They sold to another Baja employee that paid $130.00 ea.

We now do much of Checkmate's interior design and production seats. I also agree there are good things around the corner with the new models. At least the powerboat magazines will have something to do stories on new boat model designs.

Check out our website:
xt-innovations.com
Dave

That is Me Dave :drink:

Josh LaFountain 02-07-2012 07:56 AM

Any updates on the PQ plant re opening?

boatnt 02-07-2012 09:40 AM

was told that neither steelhead or claremont came thrue..bank rented a building to store all molds and PQ inventory...

jus roamn 02-07-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3611592)
was told that neither steelhead or claremont came thrue..bank rented a building to store all molds and PQ inventory...

:eekdrop:
Wow! What next, another auction? Apparently the building is already sold?

fantastixvoyage 02-08-2012 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3611592)

You sure? Bank has my # wonder why they didn't take me up on my offer? I was the high bidder until about noon after all! :lolhit:

Guess everyone is waiting for the baja/fountain/donzi/proline auction :poopoo:

fantastixvoyage 02-08-2012 10:20 PM

And good thing I haven't taken the lettering off the PQ dually just yet! :lolhit:

I'll give the bank a call tomorrow and see what's up.

AJ POWERPLAY 02-09-2012 01:46 AM

You lookin to start building some PQ's are ya??

boatnt 02-09-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3613110)
You sure? Bank has my # wonder why they didn't take me up on my offer? I was the high bidder until about noon after all! :lolhit:

Guess everyone is waiting for the baja/fountain/donzi/proline auction :poopoo:

Pretty sure Im correct...Let us know what the bank has to say..

sunsation96 02-09-2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3613120)
And good thing I haven't taken the lettering off the PQ dually just yet! :lolhit:

I'll give the bank a call tomorrow and see what's up.

Hope to see the PQ boat company back in the hands of a guy like you rather than an "group". Would be nice to see more boats rolling out of Michigan. Good luck with the bank many are pulling for you.

AJ POWERPLAY 02-09-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by sunsation96 (Post 3613334)
Hope to see the PQ boat company back in the hands of a guy like you rather than an "group". Would be nice to see more boats rolling out of Michigan. Good luck with the bank many are pulling for you.

Hell I'd even volunteer my time to help out however... I'm sure others would as well