Notices

81 Mph

Old 06-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 81 Mph

I ran the 380 again yesterday out on lake Huron, best I could manage was 81 Gps. I am still expecting more but so far thats it. I changed the prop after the boat was lifted out for the rack to 30" B1's but the weather didn't coperate. I was running 28P B1's when I hit the 81. I was running about 4500 rpm. Going to the 30's seems the wrong way but I believe the 28p's that came with the boat have been jacked up some and they are definatly not 28's The 30's are stock and should give me a baseline to go from.

I did have the trim most the way up. It seems the boat doesn't want to let go of the water. No bow steer experienced yet.

It puked out a glob of black stuff agian. It only seems to happen when I am at full throttle and in the boost range. It seems to blow out the dip stick. The stick was out about 2" after my high speed run. I need to talk to the engine builder.

Despite my problems my wife and I had a great three days. It was hot but the water was cold. Heck I even taught her how to bring it up on plane. After she did it a few time she said it was easy and drove from Port Huron back to Algonac. ( at about 50 MPh.)
Old 06-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Ray,
I won't post my speeds But I do have a question, do you still have the 32's I may need to buy them I ran out of prop on my last speed run
Old 06-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Scott, Yes I do have the 32's. You want to give them a try? I can install the "little" propshaft hubs for you no problem. Let me know. Hmmmm.......... 30P 1.5 drive banging the limiter I'd say 82Mph.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Registered

Ray, when I looked at your boat (98), it did not contain the hull modification of the newer boats. PQ trimmed about 2' off the rear strakes/chines (don't remember which) because the boats were not performing as well as they wanted. Something about trapping air under steps instead of releasing.

I thought some other guys on the board had PQ modify the hull. I'm sure you would see a good speed increase once done.

Mike
Old 06-26-2002, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would give you 5+ mph if you had that done. Have you talked to PQ again? I dont know who to tell you to talk to now that Kevin is gone. Damn I miss Kevin!
Old 06-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default 82mph

Ihad have 99 38pq with 500hpefi. will do 82mph on gps with 30p b1. Took boat back to pq winter of 2000 and had 2' of bottom cut off. Boat settle down in the water better and give it a better ride and no chime walking., but didn;t pickup and speed. I'm going to change props to 32's because I'm pushing 5200 rpm. My 30's are lab finish. send my 28's back during the winter and had them lab finish, let the rpm turn to 5400 but slow the boat down to 76mph. I can only trim out to 2 on the trim tabs before Istart blowing out. I believe the X dem. on pq boats are set to high. They are trying to rubn high x dem. so they can use stock power. I still believe I had one of the fastest 38pq with 500hp out there . The beak nose boats fear it. Ha Ha
Old 06-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks Guys, I am familiar with the mods, 30" off the strakes and no hook. (I took a look at Scott's boat a couple of weeks ago.) I figured I would run it the way it is this season and have the work done in the fall/winter. I will contact the factory but feel an independant glass guy may be a better choice. Some one that can do the work right the first time.

It went pretty well though, I hit high 70's with no problem I had to eek the lat two MPH out of it. Stangely enough I had it trimmed all the way out. I may get a little more by trimming in a little but I still need more time. I am hoping a set of tru props will give me mor of a clue to things. My wife gets nervous at that speed (and I do a little too) And the next few outings will be with the children. So no high speed runs soon, unless I can get them to get out at a sand bar - not likely...
Old 06-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Kentz

Maybe you should borrow Interceptor232's equipment, bound to improve your speed numbers

Old 06-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wildman, Thanks for the info, I am running 1.34 Imco gears, I assume you are running 1.5's I think I should be close with the 30's and 650+ Hp each.

I hear both sides of the story, The guy at PQ said they did the mods to meet the published speeds advertized and others say is was a handling issue - Factory said no. I have not seen the chine walk problem at all, I have about 10 hours on it now and really other than being a little dissapointed with the speed it all seems fine in the handling aspects to me. I hope it gets better with the mods. Plus this is my first boat of this nature, I thought my TA handled well until I got my Audi, now it seems so unrefined.

SCOTT, I wll deliver the props if I can get a "demo" ride how's that for a deal.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kentz, good one!

Quick Reply: 81 Mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.