boat too loud???

Notices

boat too loud???

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat too loud???

I boated on patoka lake in southern Indiana this weekend and got pulled over by a conservation officer after being on the water 15 min. He gave me a written Warning for a noise ordnance and told me my boat was too loud and he told me i had to put it on the trailer untill i change the exhaust. Anyone ever heard of such nonsense?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What exhaust do you have?
Welcome to POWER boating. You could be driving a cruiser with a nitro engine and they would let you pass.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
I boated on patoka lake in southern Indiana this weekend and got pulled over by a conservation officer after being on the water 15 min. He gave me a written Warning for a noise ordnance and told me my boat was too loud and he told me i had to put it on the trailer untill i change the exhaust. Anyone ever heard of such nonsense?
How loud is too loud? Did he have a db meter? I've heard of the same thing on the lakes where I boat but the officers do not carry db meters...totally subjective and B/S!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

I would have asked to see his db meter. I have head of people not getting tickets when having asked that. They have no way to prove the noise level without it. However, cops do what they want to do, when they want to do it. It has gotten really bad for much more than just noise. We say don't smile when they are around or you will get arrested just for being happy...
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Josh, I've boated on Patoka for 15 years, 6 years with my
34' Vyper never had a problem. Maybe they are starting to crack down. Is your exaust stock ? Havn't been on the lake yet this year maybe I should prepair for the worst.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Most lakes have noise restrictions these days. Do some research on what the acceptable db level is on your lake. If you have no mufflers or baffles, you're pretty much illegal on any body of water with restrictions.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Bring it to Michigan and let her roar!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Most lakes have noise restrictions these days. Do some research on what the acceptable db level is on your lake. If you have no mufflers or baffles, you're pretty much illegal on any body of water with restrictions.
Matt got pulled over last month and tested over. Got a warning. He won't get pulled over for 6 more years.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

He told me the DB level was 80max and that i was over the limit. He didnt have a meter thoe. Im positive my boat is over 100db but without proof thay cant enforce it. And i looked and cant find any restriction on patoka. its not posted anywhere.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
He told me the DB level was 80max and that i was over the limit. He didnt have a meter thoe. Im positive my boat is over 100db but without proof thay cant enforce it. And i looked and cant find any restriction on patoka. its not posted anywhere.
80db would be very low even for the J34 test. Most state limits are around 90db for the J2005 stationary test.

100db is really loud. Usually boats running near 100db are running dry exhaust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.