Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Bimini storage? >

Bimini storage?

Notices

Bimini storage?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 24
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bimini storage?

I cannot for the life of me figuire out how to store the bimini in the engine compartment. Bimini was on the boat when i bought it of course and now want to store it. Ive tried putting the legs in first but they hit the transom before clearing the seat. Does anyone have any pics of theirs stored and tips for getting it stored? I really dont want another garage ornament!! Boat is a 1998 260 legend sx 502
bdbwtie is offline  
Old 04-20-2021, 12:26 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lakewood, NY, USA
Posts: 3,277
Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

On my old Velocity 280 I cut about 16 inches off the longest legs, inserted and pinned solid aluminum rod in one side leaving about 3 protruding. The folded Bimini could then be stored in the engine compartment. To put up I inserted the cut off section into the aluminum rods and fastened with push pins.

Padraig
Padraig is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 09:18 AM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bdbwtie View Post
I cannot for the life of me figuire out how to store the bimini in the engine compartment. Bimini was on the boat when i bought it of course and now want to store it. Ive tried putting the legs in first but they hit the transom before clearing the seat. Does anyone have any pics of theirs stored and tips for getting it stored? I really dont want another garage ornament!! Boat is a 1998 260 legend sx 502
Bdbwtie,

I don't have any pics, but, on my 280 Silencer, the bimini is hung on two straps over the exhaust and two straps on either side, just behind the rear seat. It is kind of a puzzle that, quite honestly, we haven't really figured out. We always end up getting it out and back in, but it's like solving the puzzle for the first time every time. The best I can describe it is to thread one leg of the bimini in around the hatch lift and tuck it under the gunwale, up into the space beside the seat, far enough so that the other leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side, then center it up and hang it. The bimini looks like it is sitting on the exhaust, but it's really not. We are going out this weekend, I'll see if I can get some pics of the setup and post them.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Brad Christy is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 AM
  #4  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 24
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brad Christy View Post
Bdbwtie,

I don't have any pics, but, on my 280 Silencer, the bimini is hung on two straps over the exhaust and two straps on either side, just behind the rear seat. It is kind of a puzzle that, quite honestly, we haven't really figured out. We always end up getting it out and back in, but it's like solving the puzzle for the first time every time. The best I can describe it is to thread one leg of the bimini in around the hatch lift and tuck it under the gunwale, up into the space beside the seat, far enough so that the other leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side, then center it up and hang it. The bimini looks like it is sitting on the exhaust, but it's really not. We are going out this weekend, I'll see if I can get some pics of the setup and post them.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991

Thankyou!! I think I am following you steps. But if you could get some pics that would be a tremendous help! My brother is really getting sick of storing it in his barn!
bdbwtie is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 04:42 PM
  #5  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 359
Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

How long are the legs...and how 'short' is the engine compartment? The bimini on my Baja 252 Islander easily fits, there are a couple of brackets on the side and a 'U-hook up front on the back of the rear seats that cradles the main body of the bimini. If simply not enough space in the engine bay (!) then as noted above, you'll need to make some sort of collapsible feature on the leg(s) that currently don't stow. I'd simply take some measurements and see what you have to work with...good luck and keep us posted.
__________________
Baja 252 Islander
bajaman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bdbwtie View Post
Thankyou!! I think I am following you steps. But if you could get some pics that would be a tremendous help! My brother is really getting sick of storing it in his barn!
bdbwtie,




Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-06-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Brad Christy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:07 AM
  #7  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 24
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brad Christy View Post
bdbwtie,




Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991

Thank you! I was always thinking it went in with the canvas side towards the seat! Do you have to remove the lower leg that pivots? That seems to be the hold up on mine as its quite longer than the rest when folded.
bdbwtie is offline  
Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 AM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Bdbwtie,

Keep in mind that mine is a 280, not a 260, and there could be subtle differences….

We don’t remove anything. Just lay it in with the pivoting legs on top, so they don’t fall away and complicate the process of threading the bimini in there.

Like I said, we turn the whole thing sideways, with the canvass toward the side, tuck one leg behind the hatch lift, thread it across to the other side, rotating it as you go (canvas toward the back), tuck the leading leg under the gunwale, far enough that the trailing leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side. Once both legs are below the gunwale, center it up, hang the legs, then hang the canvass.

Do you still have three straps? I could definitely see them being removed at some point if the previous owner never put the bimini away and thought the straps were in the way or whatever.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Brad Christy is offline  
Old 08-26-2021, 10:53 AM
  #9  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 24
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I do not have the straps anymore so that probably had a lot to do with why I couldn't figure out how it went it! Guess I will be looking for some straps first!
bdbwtie is offline  
Old 08-26-2021, 01:39 PM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bdbwtie View Post
I do not have the straps anymore so that probably had a lot to do with why I couldn't figure out how it went it! Guess I will be looking for some straps first!
Bdwtie,

I'd call a vinyl shop and see if they could fab you some up. Pretty sure that's all mine are.

You do have the anchor points, right? Mine are just 1/4 turn dzus fasteners.




Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Brad Christy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.