Silent Choice - 280 Silencer

Notices

Silent Choice - 280 Silencer

Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts
Default Silent Choice - 280 Silencer

Guys,

The family just bought a 2002 280 Silencer with the 496MAG HO. The boat has really low hours on it (~145), and its in all but pristine shape (Something I've noticed over the years about PQs in general). After a handful of outings on it, one little gremlin has popped up. The silent choice seems to be intermittently not working, particularly the starboard side. It's not really a big deal to me, as I could do without it altogether, but the wife likes to be able to talk at an idle and such.

Is this something that others have seen? Is it more likely an electrical thing, like the solenoids, or a mechanical thing, like buildup around the hinge pin(s)? I had the hatch up a couple times, toggling them on and off, and there have been a couple times the port side (the more reliable side) kicked, but the starboard side hesitated for a couple seconds, then kicked. Not really sure what this means, but......

I've been around boating my whole life, growing up on a scratch build, starting with a '76 21' Nordic shallow V with a blown 482 V-drive. I'm also a toolmaker by trade, so I'm pretty handy and fairly mechanically inclined. I'm not at all afraid to get out the wrenches and go to town, but I have ZERO experience with silent choice. Just looking for ideas as to where to start first.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Old 06-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it air operated or does it use the solenoids? My air operated silent choice would stick intermittently and I just applied WD-40 to the cylinder shafts. Wouldn't fix it permanently but would last quite a while. If you have the solenoid style by Corsa could be it's getting tired and may need to replace it.