Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
First outing >

First outing

Notices

First outing

Old 12-29-2002, 04:04 PM
BMAC13

Smile First outing

Had the boat out today for the first time and have a few questions for those of you running 380's or have 500efi's. First of all I would to say that the boat is very user friendly and handled great with no rattles, even in six foot swells today.

My first question regards the operating temperature of the engines. The owners manuel says it should run 160 -180 degrees. The port engine ran at 160 and the starboard at 180. What could make the difference in temperature between the engines?

Second question is in regards to speed. At 3,000 rpm we were running roughly 40mph. The boat was full of fuel, three passengers, XR drives with IT'S system(7" stand off) running 4 blade Bravo 1 30 pitch. The engines have only been run a few times so I only took it up to 4700 rpm on relatively flat water and got 72 mph on gps. It felt like the props were having a tough time catching (cavitation problem I think). Do these speeds sound about right. seems a bit slow to me if everyone else is hitting 80 plus at WOT.

I know it will take some dialing in and some seat time, but, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, and I just got a new digital video camera that will take stills so I will post some pics when I figure out how to use it.

Old 12-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new boat!!!

With regard to water temps, my 34 with 454mags and gaffrigs run about 10 degrees different since the boat was new.

Iwill be interested in learning about others input on your speed concerns. From what I have learned you have more speed to get out of your setup...which is good!

Take care.

Jeff - which I could be boating in December!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be the hot water tank cooling the engine a little more than the other.(if you have one) 10 degrees sounds like a lot for that though.

The props will ventilate out of the hole but should not at higher speeds unless you are trimmed too high. "Blow out" usually occurs at higher speeds. But it is a significant change in speed not just a little slipping. Blow out is caused by the bullet of the drive deverting the water too far out arround the prop creating a pocket of air that the props cannot hook to hence they slip and loose propulsion.

For high speed make sure you are not dragging your tabs and trim both drives up equally. Check where the drives are parallel to the running surface and mark them on the indicators. At speed start them level and put the hammer down and the tap them higher and higher untill you reach top speed. If it gets too loose back down. DO NOT TURN at high speed untill you know how the boat handles. You may allready know this but I do want to see some pictures of the boat not the bottom of the lake
Old 12-29-2002, 08:45 PM
BMAC13

Thanks for the replies. I do have a hot water heater and that may be part of the temp difference. I will keep an eye on it and see if anything changes.

The cavitation problem was not at speed. It was more in the low to mid range rpm's. It seemed as though it took a long time for the props to bite, even with the drives tucked in. It may have something to do with the size of the swell today and taking longer to get on plane.

The boat is handling very well. A little bit of bow steer with higher speed corners but I'm sure that will dissapear as I learn where the drives like to set (I was likely a little too far tucked in).

Does it sound like I will be able to hit 80 plus? Do the 2001 models have a problem with a hook in the hull?

I figure I can get lots of help from you poor guys unable to use your boats this time of year, as talking shop is the next best thing to being able to go out.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On getting out of the hole mine ventilate for about 6-8 seconds. I bring the RPM up to 3000 then up to 3500 Then they seem to bite after the boat gets going a little. At first I was worried now it's normal. I think you'll hit 80, I would think you can hit 77-78 all day long but you will have to eek out the last few MPH.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:36 AM
wms

BMAC, congrats on your new ride AND being able to boat this time of year!

Although I have a 340 with 496HO's I have the exact same temperature variation you have. I do have a hot water heater so it is interesting to see Ray's reply about that being a potential cause. Ray can you ellaborate?

The 340 props ventilate a bit coming out of the hole same as the 380's. let's face it, we have a lot of horsepower trying to get a lot of boat on plane. It took lots of seat time to figure out correct throttle, trim and tab timing. It is all about timing, and learning how to work them all with one hand. The difference/improvement I experienced over the course of the summer was huge!

Have fun!!

Old 12-30-2002, 04:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Some of the cooling water is piped through the water heater, that way you dont need electric power to heat the water. I can see a small difference but I would not expect 10 degrees. If you want to test just pinch off one of the lines and see what happens to the temp.

You could switch the thermostats to see if one is off too.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Ray, I believe PQ stopped doing that in 2000. Merc. got wind of it and said they wouldnt waranty the motor if it was connected.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:11 PM
BMAC13

I'll have to check to see if the hot water tank is connected for sure and go from there. My first thought was thermostat, the engines are new but sometimes you just get a bad thermostat. As long as they're not running over 180 degrees I won't worry but may change the thermostats anyway. I will get the boat out again next weekend (golfing on the 1st) and see how it goes.

There is a 2002 380 advertised for sale with the same engines and drives as I'm running saying they got 85.6mph on GPS. This is what I'm shooting for but don't know if it's possible. Are the 380's sensitive to weight? Any other recommendations to maximize performance?

Old 12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Registered

Pls point me to the 2002 38 you reference for sale.

Thanks.

Jeff

Quick Reply: First outing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.