Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Time to replace the gimbal ring (2) >

Time to replace the gimbal ring (2)

Notices

Time to replace the gimbal ring (2)

Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace the gimbal ring (2)

Well It is time to go get the boat from storage and drop it off to be fixed. Out of the 3 boats I have owned I never had this problem before. Both Gimbal Rings have to be replaced, do i have the motors pulled and change them that way, or do I buy mercruiser kits, that allow you to drill a hole that is visable and a threaded plug put in the hole, so you don't have to pull the motors.I guess I should be thankfull thats the only problem. What do you guys think??????
Old 02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Time to replace the gimbal ring (2)

PWRQUEST
When I traded my 29 they noticed that I had a plug in one of my drice housings, and thought that I had ripped off that drive (hit something in the water) I had to explane what had happened so that is something you will have to think about if you put in the plugs Good luck.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

QUEST - Have they identified a cause to the problem? Seems like you want to correct what caused the issue in the first place at the same time you replace them.

How did you know they were bad? Sound/vibration?

QWST - Why did you have plug?

-Wally
Old 02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wally
My gimbal housing had a crack in it from merc and when they replaced it they put in a plug.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered

Wally,
My mechanic said the nuts on the inside of the transom came loose over time, and that caused the problem. The other major problem is, the marina I had servicing the boat obviously is not as smart as I thought they were. The guy I have working on it now tells me that those nuts should be checked at least once a year to make sure thier still tight to specs. And once he replaces them I can check them 2 times a year and I shouldn't have a problem again. The problem is that it is not a cheap fix.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

Rich,
If I go with the plugs, does it look like a sloppy repair?

I just hate to have both motors pulled when i don't have to.

If you were buying my boat and you seen the plugs, would you be afraid of purchasing it?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered

Wally,
There is about 2 inches of play in each outdrive, (they both move side to side without moving the sterring wheel)

What I don't understand about the problem is that there is no slop in the steering wheel when I am moving, and I didn't notice the boat wandering excessively at no wake speed. I didn't even know there was a problem until the end of the season when I took it to be winterized, and my !!!NEW BOAT MECHANIC!!! told me they were bad.

Calvin
Old 02-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQUEST
Wally,
There is about 2 inches of play in each outdrive, (they both move side to side without moving the sterring wheel)

What I don't understand about the problem is that there is no slop in the steering wheel when I am moving, and I didn't notice the boat wandering excessively at no wake speed. I didn't even know there was a problem until the end of the season when I took it to be winterized, and my !!!NEW BOAT MECHANIC!!! told me they were bad.

Calvin
make sure the steering cable nut is tight to the rack at rear of the boat.
If that gets loose (which it does)you will get play back there,it has happened to me before.
as far as the nuts make sure you torque then to 53ft lbs and no more because you can stretch them if you over tighten then.its a good idea to check them twice a year along with greasing the engine couples with the special spline grease merc makes.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQUEST
Wally,

Calvin
Check out this link. Most likely the square hole of the steering lever (piece 14) now has rounded edges. This is what causes slop in the steering. The pin that attaches to the lever (piece 12) is what the u-bolt on the outside of the drive tightens against. I'm not quite sure why the mechanic would tell you that you need "New" gimbles. This can be fixed. Not easy....but can be fixed.

Steering Arm
Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys I will do some looking when I get it home.

Calvin

Quick Reply: Time to replace the gimbal ring (2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.