Porpoising

Notices

Porpoising

Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Porpoising

My Kevlar Top Gun was like flipper under 70mph in any kind of water even with negative trim and also required 7 plus on trim tabs.
We tried every prop known to man, no change. We finally lowered the drives 1/2" which brought us to 4 or 5 on the tab scale, still not good enough.
It wasn't until my motor guy's at Diamond Performance filled in a hook that I couldn't see,even with a 6' level that my problem was solved completely.
I would have some one look at your hull,i'm glad I did, other than to keep my boat tight in the rough we now require zero tab and she will take positive trim at cruise speeds or less. Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
My Kevlar Top Gun was like flipper under 70mph in any kind of water even with negative trim and also required 7 plus on trim tabs.
We tried every prop known to man, no change. We finally lowered the drives 1/2" which brought us to 4 or 5 on the tab scale, still not good enough.
It wasn't until my motor guy's at Diamond Performance filled in a hook that I couldn't see,even with a 6' level that my problem was solved completely.
I would have some one look at your hull,i'm glad I did, other than to keep my boat tight in the rough we now require zero tab and she will take positive trim at cruise speeds or less. Good Luck!
Wildwarrior,
Did the hook drop your top end at all?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Active Mike
Wildwarrior,
Did the hook drop your top end at all?
We found 6 mph or so in the hull alone ,and i,m not talking a total blue print job.
More important to us than the extra speed, now with the hook removed our boat just handles way better at any speed, and know longer rides like flipper with out a ton of tab! Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
We found 6 mph or so in the hull alone ,and i,m not talking a total blue print job.
More important to us than the extra speed, now with the hook removed our boat just handles way better at any speed, and know longer rides like flipper with out a ton of tab! Good luck!
WildWarrior,
I thought having hook would prevent porpoising not removing it? You said that you had it filled correct?
The shop that you had do the work are the experienced at this? Also you live in Pa?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Active Mike
WildWarrior,
I thought having hook would prevent porpoising not removing it? You said that you had it filled correct?
The shop that you had do the work are the experienced at this? Also you live in Pa?
Thanks,
Mike
Looking for WildWarrior.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Mike, I'm gonna take a guess that his hook was acting like a see-saw. The hook was trying to lift his stern, and force the nose down, and the props are trying to sink the stern, and lift the bow. When the hook was removed it allowed the props to lift the bow, sink the stern and help keep the props loaded.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike,
Our boat runs better with her drives 1/2" lower than stock and others perform better with shorties.
I quess what i'm saying is that there are know exact clear cures for your problem.
I was told the same thing in regards to my hook,however in conjunction with the other steps ,lower drives,more power and hook removal we have solved the issue on our hull.
Rudy & Bill @ Diamond Boat Performance in Wilmington DE do all my work, blower motors, rigging etc.
The important thing is finding a blue print guy that already knows your specific hull and set up. Manufactures all have subtle differences in their designs to help them plane out etc. Good luck and if you need some phone numbers feel free to pm me.! Glen
Old 11-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered

WildWarrior,
Thanks for the follow up. I may take you up on those numbers. I live in about center Pa area so if I have to look for some one that is good at working on hulls I would prefer to use some one with a good track record.

Monkey Spanker,
I wasn't really looking at it that way but I guess that could be very possible as well.
I would guess that you ran that 23' Rinker in the Susquehanna river?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Registered

Yup, thats me.
I've been bouncing a few ideas around on here to see if, or how much, more power I wan't to stick in the thing. I have to tear the Chevelle motor down to drop the compression, so I thought I'd put the heads and Dominator on the boat motor.
It should throw it well over 600 hp and let me chase down a certain Pachanga!!!!!! The other option is a blower, but with 9.2 comp I'd be boost limited.
I talked to artic friends,(Smitty) about his bottom on his Baja, and he's going 92 on a stock bottom, which I think is as close to my hull as any.
The only real limiting factor is the drive, everybody always asks, how much power will a stock bravo handle................Wally.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
Yup, thats me.
I've been bouncing a few ideas around on here to see if, or how much, more power I wan't to stick in the thing. I have to tear the Chevelle motor down to drop the compression, so I thought I'd put the heads and Dominator on the boat motor.
It should throw it well over 600 hp and let me chase down a certain Pachanga!!!!!! The other option is a blower, but with 9.2 comp I'd be boost limited.
I talked to artic friends,(Smitty) about his bottom on his Baja, and he's going 92 on a stock bottom, which I think is as close to my hull as any.
The only real limiting factor is the drive, everybody always asks, how much power will a stock bravo handle................Wally.
Who's the Pachanga that you are trying to chase down?
Also what kind of speeds are you seeing out of your 23' on GPS now?
Do you run the river every week? Just trying to figure out what boat you are.
The rumor is that the bravo's are good for 600 hp range but a lot of it is how you run it and I know that there is larger horses put on them.
Mike

Quick Reply: Porpoising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.