need new prop after upgrades >

need new prop after upgrades

Notices

need new prop after upgrades

Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new prop after upgrades

over this winter i have done a few things to my engine and now i am looking for a new prop so i can benefit from all my mods. the boat is 1990 baja 226es with a 330hp 454. all stock last year i ran a couple diff. props. i ran a 23p mirage 3 blade at 4600-4700 trimmed all out and i think i was at 60mph on gps but it was a bear to plane off with. then we tried a 23p cleaver on it and we got about 4600-4700rpms trimmed out at 58mph gps. then i called darin and had him do one off my old props. it was a 19p 3 blade and he pitched it to a 20p and labbed it. it went like a rocket but only went 55mph. now over the winter i have done merlin big ovals,edelbrock air gap intake,holley 800,merc 420 cam with roller rockers,dana flow torque manifolds. now i need a new prop. so what do you guys recommend? i am kind of leaning toward a 4 blade. i read that it keeps the boat in the water more in the rough stuff. thanks for any input---
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need new prop after upgrades

I would recommend baseline the props you have and post your data. If you have any Dyno sheets they would be very helpful with dialing you in. What is of improtance is that we determine at what RPM the peak torque and HP are produced.

Julie
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Registered

i dont have any dyno sheets. i will just have to try the props i have and go from there. but just one question,what would a 4 blade prop do for me? and what kinda of ballpark pitch would i use?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: need new prop after upgrades

We need to know the rpm you wish to turn the engine at WOT. I'm assuming with the mods you have made, you will want to run in the low 5000's. Since you don't have a box stock round ear propeller to base line with, I would suggest you let us, or another reputable propeller shop, know when you are ready to test. I have 3 different props I would like you to start with. One 3 blade and a couple 4 blade propellers. From there we can determine what the next best move will be.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

What about the bottom end of the motor? Did you change the rods, block, pistons or any of those components?

Matt
Old 03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
We need to know the rpm you wish to turn the engine at WOT. I'm assuming with the mods you have made, you will want to run in the low 5000's. Since you don't have a box stock round ear propeller to base line with, I would suggest you let us, or another reputable propeller shop, know when you are ready to test. I have 3 different props I would like you to start with. One 3 blade and a couple 4 blade propellers. From there we can determine what the next best move will be.
the bottom end is new but replaced with stock components. that is why is will at 4600-4700 WOT. I will get in touch with you when i start testing. with the weather i am still at least a month away from even testing. thanks-
Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
i dont have any dyno sheets. i will just have to try the props i have and go from there. but just one question,what would a 4 blade prop do for me? and what kinda of ballpark pitch would i use?
Spin that engine 5000rpm, but not more.
I would agree that with a 4 blade, the boat will handle the rough better.
Start with your 23p and record your numbers.
My guess is that a 23p Rev 4 and a 24p Bravo 1 would be a great props to try...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want to be careful about turning too much rpm with your motor. I'm no motor expert but the 454 330 or 310 hp does not have a real strong bottom end. I would try to keep the WOt rpm at or below 5000. Hopefully the mods you did to the motor work well at that rpm and you will have a nice set up.

The Bravo 1 prop on your boat is a great prop. It will all but eliminate any problems of getting on plane. You shouldn't lose more than 1 mph on the top end. Every aspect should be better than the 4 blade; planning, cruise speed, handling, acceleration, rough water capability, etc. Unless you are just looking for that top end number I think you would be very happy with the 4 blade prop.

Matt
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

thnaks for all the help. now i know what look for, and i have some kinda idea where to start this spring.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

ok got my boat out for a couple test runs this week. yesterday i tried the 23p cleaver i have and with two people and full of gas it went 63 mph on gps. the rpms were at 5200 and i really could'nt trim it out b/c of the rpms being way to high. i need to be like at the most 5000rpms full trim. it seemed to plane out ok but i have a feeling if i had a boat load of people it would really be a struggle.

Quick Reply: need new prop after upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.