prop movement >

prop movement

Notices

prop movement

Old 06-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop movement

what would cause this when i put the prop on and all the hardware then i grab 2 of the 4 blades and there is movement in the prop, not in and out . but left and right and the shaft is not moving. it seems to be the prop is moveing on the shaft and i tried other props with same results any answers thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: prop movement

If it's a Bravo 1 prop it may be that you have the wrong inner steel sleeve. If you have the longer sleeve when you need the shorter one the thrust washer will not seat in the forward end of the prop properly.

If you have a prop with the interchangeable hub system take the inner sleeve out and mount the prop without the sleeve. If the prop does not move it's the inner sleeve.

When the prop is upside down (forward end up) there should be about 1/4" from the end of the inner sleeve and the end of the hub bore that the sleeve goes into.

The problem could also be in the aft adapter.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
If it's a Bravo 1 prop it may be that you have the wrong inner steel sleeve. If you have the longer sleeve when you need the shorter one the thrust washer will not seat in the forward end of the prop properly.

If you have a prop with the interchangeable hub system take the inner sleeve out and mount the prop without the sleeve. If the prop does not move it's the inner sleeve.

When the prop is upside down (forward end up) there should be about 1/4" from the end of the inner sleeve and the end of the hub bore that the sleeve goes into.

The problem could also be in the aft adapter.
sorry i should of said it is hydromotives old style solid hub 4 blades on cle cases 2 whole
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

In that case I would check both the thrust washer and the aft adapter. Thrust washers can wear out and it's sometimes difficult to see it.

With the prop mounted upside down put the thrust washer into the hub bore. There should only be a slight movement inside the hub bore, about .010-.020" . If it's more than that I would consider a new thrust washer and aft adapter.

I would also check to make sure the weld between the inner hub and the hub bore is intact. We have seen a number of Hydromotives with broken welds.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

In that case I would check both the thrust washer and the aft adapter. Thrust washers can wear out and it's sometimes difficult to see it.

With the prop mounted upside down put the thrust washer into the hub bore. There should only be a slight movement inside the hub bore, about .010-.020" . If it's more than that I would consider a new thrust washer and aft adapter.

I would also check to make sure the weld between the inner hub and the hub bore is intact. We have seen a number of Hydromotives with broken welds.
what is the aft adapter i have a stock merc thrust washer on at the base of the prop i will also check the weld i was thinking of trying a thicker merc washer like what you would use on a chopper prop
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

The aft adapter is a bronze piece the goes between the prop and the nut. It has notches in it for the tabs on the lock washer to engage into. There are splines that engage on the splines on the shaft which prevents it from rotating. It is the piece the locates the aft end of the prop on the shaft.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered

The aft adapter is a bronze piece the goes between the prop and the nut. It has notches in it for the tabs on the lock washer to engage into. There are splines that engage on the splines on the shaft which prevents it from rotating. It is the piece the locates the aft end of the prop on the shaft.
yes i have that

Last edited by JERSEY DEVIL; 06-21-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

In that case I would check both the thrust washer and the aft adapter. Thrust washers can wear out and it's .

Julie
Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

In that case I would check both the thrust washer and the aft adapter. Thrust washers can wear out and it's .

Julie
thanks julie i am trying a pair of stainless thrust washers