Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch >

Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch

Notices

Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch

Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch

I just bought a labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 pitch for a 2005 Baja Outlaw with a 496HO. I am having issues with the prop blowing out at 20-30MPH. Do I need to trim a labbed prop differently than the standard Mirage 23 pitch prop that came with the boat?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch

Your boat can be difficult to get on plane with a stock Mirage Plus. A labbed one can be even more difficult. Blowing out is a problem with your boat as well.

It is common to trim a prop differently after it has been worked. In your case you will find you will need more negative trim at lower speeds to keep the prop hooked up. What happens at top speed?

It's not unusual to have to make an adjustment to a lab finished prop to get it just right.

There are some adjustments that can be made to your prop to make it work better for your boat. I would suggest contacting the person who did the work for you, they should be more than happy to make an adjustment for you.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a Mirage, or a Mirage Plus?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered

It is a Mirage Plus
Old 06-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

I bought it directly from Mercury Marine.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
Your boat can be difficult to get on plane with a stock Mirage Plus. A labbed one can be even more difficult. Blowing out is a problem with your boat as well.

It is common to trim a prop differently after it has been worked. In your case you will find you will need more negative trim at lower speeds to keep the prop hooked up. What happens at top speed?

It's not unusual to have to make an adjustment to a lab finished prop to get it just right.

There are some adjustments that can be made to your prop to make it work better for your boat. I would suggest contacting the person who did the work for you, they should be more than happy to make an adjustment for you.
I have the same prop and the same boat ( we bought them at the same time.........at the Hawkeye Poker Run I ran 69 on the Gaffrig GPS with a full tank a cooler and 3 adults.....I also made several stereo mods prior to the new prop and added 2 more batteries ( 4 total ) best GPS with the stock prop was 68.5........I have issues coming out of the hole.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Registered

I would contact Mercury. Tell them what problems you are having and have them adjust it. A standard Merc lab Mirage will not work well on your boat, as you have found out.

When it comes to lab finished Mirage or Mirage Plus there really is no difference between the two.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Registered

I would contact Mercury. Tell them what problems you are having and have them adjust it. A standard Merc lab Mirage will not work well on your boat, as you have found out.

When it comes to lab finished Mirage or Mirage Plus there really is no difference between the two.

If you could guess.....what do you think the charge will be to adjust? I hate to tie too much up in this prop, I already have $900.00 in it.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered

They should adjust it at no charge. That's why I recommended to send it back to Merc. We, as well as most other shops, will make at least one adjustment at no charge.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

They should adjust it at no charge. That's why I recommended to send it back to Merc. We, as well as most other shops, will make at lest one adjustment at no charge.
That is not the case. We talked with Mercury this morning and they indicated that they usually put what they call a "Baja Cup" in the blade. It would be an additional $170.00 with labor and shipping cost.

He recommended that we go with a standard Bravo I 24P or labbed Bravo I 26P. It would give us the hole shot and midrange but the top end would suffer.

He said that he would need some solid numbers that he could calculate before he told us 100%.

Seems to me that I just dropped $900.00 on a prop that I am not going get out of what I intended to.

I have only had it in the water 2 times. Wonder what I could get out of it on eBay?

Quick Reply: Issue with Labbed Mirage 3 Blade 25 Pitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.