Looking for input / advice. >

Looking for input / advice.

Notices

Looking for input / advice.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input / advice.

Started this conversation back in November of last year.
( http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=115662 )
Before I started testing props I wanted to remove the bottom paint. Well That is an on going process but getting there. I have a few (kinda far) shots of the boat at speed. Motor is a 502 ci 500hp. I can only spin a 23p Mirage plus to 5000rpms and 59mph on my best run. (1.50 gears in the bravo 1) If you look at the pic’s I am very wet. Now this bottom paint sucks. It feels like rubber paint. If you rub your hand over it sticks to it. I have all of it off but the last 4-5 feet. Bottom for what I see is straight. Once I have the paint off I want to sharpen the strakes and the transom. Any Ideas or suggestions? This light weight narrow beamed 251 should be flying. One question is why is it so much water disturbance in the back of the boat? My tabs come almost straight off the back of the boat. They are modified Bennet tabs that are 15” long. Could this be my problem? I have this posted here because I am thinking prop with more stern lift?
?

I know to much trim....

Last edited by Mike Paula; 08-23-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Re: Looking for input / advice.

Mike, look in the yellow pages or ask some marinas for anyone that does mobile soda blasting.....that should take off all the bottom paint without damage to the hull....you will need to buff and wax it after though...maybe even some wet sanding depending on how it turns out.
When i first looked at this post i saw the top pic and started reading about you wanting to take the bottom paint off.....my first thought was "OH NO!! That looks like the island on the right hand side as you leave the fox river going into the chain!!" And i was expecting to hear a horror story about you ripping the bottom apart! whew...glad that wasn't the case!

The Tabs you have modified i doubt would be causing you any problems unless they are mounted too low and actually causing drag...pics would do wonders but most tabs have about 1/2-3/4" spacing between the bottom of the boat and the bottom of the tabs.... If you take a straight edge and put it against the hull and under the tabs when they are up, do you have allot of clearance or are they running parallel with the hull bottom? Maybe the tabs need to be mounted higher so you can get some bow lift?

Motor wise.....just thinking here.....even though its spinning 5000rpm....are you sure its 500hp? And if it is did you get a marine type cam? You may be making the HP numbers but not the the torque the engine needs to get the boat moving the right way....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree that the stern looks a bit deep and Checkmates run well with stern lifting props.

Julie
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
I would have to agree that the stern looks a bit deep and Checkmates run well with stern lifting props.

Julie
That was my take.......
I want better pic and will get some soon.

Wally Tabs are Mounted 3/4 in up from the bottom but is straight off the bottom. With no tip up. So if I am tab full up and trying to fly the bow they are down in the water....make sense?

As for the motor/ prop, I know we are at 500hp. I went from a 23p Mirage, 23p Mirage plus with a slight gain in MPH but no change in RPM. I know there is mid to upper 60' if I can loosen up this hull. I still feel the paint is a big factor. And I think if we get the stern up we can be there. I just thought we should have been 5200 to 5500 rpms with this prop.???

Thanks for you input
Old 08-25-2006, 06:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Paula
Wally Tabs are Mounted 3/4 in up from the bottom but is straight off the bottom. With no tip up. So if I am tab full up and trying to fly the bow they are down in the water....make sense?
I would say that you are dragging your tabs. If I run with mine parallel with the bottom it does slow my boat down. It may be a real pain, but I'd say that you need to relocate the piston. Maybe you can move the tab side farther toward the end of the tab and leave the hull side alone.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree as well. It sounds like you are dragging the tabs and displacing the water flow...possibly to the props. It is also unusual for a 23P Mirage to produce the same RPM at a 23P Mirage Plus. The Mirage Plus has more cup in it and should run a lower RPM than the straight Mirage.....so something is up with the props as well. Relocating the tabs is the first priority to ensure clean water to the props.

Julie
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

My 23P Mirage is beat up but would still pop up the hull on plan pretty good. My 23P Mirage Plus I got from some one off here. It look pretty good. No stamping like it was worked. 23P Mirage If I started over triming I would get up into the 52-5300 rpms. I did spin the hub out of this one and have not fixed it so it's done for now. With the Plus it will stay at 5000 maybe 5100.

I am going to work with the tabs and see what i can do. I read on a board some where that they can be modified to retract more. I just cant fine the article right now

Last edited by Mike Paula; 08-25-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
When i first looked at this post i saw the top pic and started reading about you wanting to take the bottom paint off.....my first thought was "OH NO!! That looks like the island on the right hand side as you leave the fox river going into the chain!!"
Wally that pic is on Table Rock from our trip in July
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Registered

Little up date. I E-mailed Bennet and they are sending me new top mount for the tabs that would let the rams come up and additional 1". Also found a stripper that I have been using to remove the bottom pant. That and pressure washer has been doing the job. It is in an aerosol can and is easy to apply. Bad thing is as you spray it, it will land on you skin and burns like hell. so you have get be covered head to toe.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

go over to home depot and yourself one of those dispossable painters overalls...they are cheap and cover you head to toe

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Quick Reply: Looking for input / advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.