Chopper prop hub

Notices

Chopper prop hub

Old 10-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chopper prop hub

Does anyone know if there is a way to fit a merc overhub chopper on a speedmaster 19 spline shaft? Thanks, Chris
Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chopper prop hub

torch and hammer?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can it be done? Yes. Would it be cost effective to do, no.

It would require machining, fabricating and welding. I don't think it would be worth the investment.

Matt
Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been Their Done That .Arneson Does Make A Flowtorque Hub To A 19 Spline Speedy Shaft. In Short The Props At Even 15 Inches In Diameter Are To Small To Be Effective. Arneson Told Me It Was A Bad Idea When I Wanted One Then Made A Mold And Now Sell Them. I HOPE THEY CHOCK ON EVERY ONE. I Had To Make My Own And Find Out The Hard Way. What Are You Trying To Do ? Send me a PM for info if your interested in my results. I do have the hub I made.

Last edited by z.zuperboat; 10-15-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Been Their Done That .Arneson Does Make A Flowtorque Hub To A 19 Spline Speedy Shaft. In Short The Props At Even 15 Inches In Diameter Are To Small To Be Effective. Arneson Told Me It Was A Bad Idea When I Wanted One Then Made A Mold And Now Sell Them. I HOPE THEY CHOCK ON EVERY ONE. I Had To Make My Own And Find Out The Hard Way. What Are You Trying To Do ? Send me a PM for info if your interested in my results. I do have the hub I made.
First of all, I did not make a mold to place a Merc. chopper propeller onto a 19 tooth spline shaft. Mercrury makes that themselves! It is the Bravo propeller hub adapter!!!

I made an adapter to convert a Mercury Speedmaster 26 tooth spline Propeller to fit onto a 19 tooth spline shaft.

We have been making them before you even thought of what you wanted so please do not tell me you invented the world here. We have been making these things since the early 80's with different propeller splines.

I informed you, and correctly so, that an outboard propeller will not work on a larger boat in a surfacing application as the propellers do not have sufficient blade area to hold the power. Hence, they SLIP a great amount.

If you find a fault with what I advised then please inform me.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

No Fault But My Own. Your Advise Was Correct, The Drive Was To High For Such A Small Diameter Wheel. That I Stated In The My Last Post !!!
Last Year When I Wanted To Run An Outboard Chopper On My 19 spline Speedy. You Said All we make are 26 spline to 19 spline. 6 Months Later Your selling Them. Calling Them Mercury Outboard Prop Adapters!
Did Not Have Them On Your Web Page Like You Do Today.NEW NEW NEW
Stating Using This Adapter You Can Now Run Inexpensive Props.
Last If You Didn't Invent It Then How Can You Charge $300 For A $50 Mercury Part ?
I Guess That Small Aluminum Tapered Spacer Is Worth $250

Last edited by z.zuperboat; 10-18-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

To my knowledge there isn't an adapter to go from an overhub chopper to a 19 spline speedmaster.

I am aware of the Arneson adapter to go from a 26 spline prop to a 19 spline shaft. This opens up a world of props that are readily available. The 26 spline props are very common. 19 spline props are hard to find now and need to be custom made for many applications. We have bought these adapters from Arneson in the past few years. Maybe they were not on his web site but they were in stock when we called.

I would agree that putting a prop designed for outboard/sterndrive applications is not going to work for many reasons on a 19 spline speedmaster.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

I Beg To Differ.
Go To Arnesons Site
Then Bravo To Arneson Conversion
Then Scroll Down Almost To The Bottom On The Right You Will See A Picture Of It. They Call It A Mercury Outboard Prop Adapter. Using The Stock Merc 19 Spline Hub With A Beveled Spacer For The Front To Center
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Mercury adapter has to be machined, and there has to be a spacer made and plated to fit an ARNESON. There is more than one piece required for the outboard prop to fit an Arneson.

Now for a Mercury drive, I have no idea what it would take to adapt to it. Possible just the adapter but for an Arneson the adapter has to be MODIFIED.

Where on my site does it say $300? Never sold one, tried them on two boats and unless the boat was small and light weight the props would not hook up. This is what I told you as I had tried it before you called... Hmmm... time line...

As for the Speedmaster adapters, I have like 24 of those in stock. Outboard ones was a bad idea at best.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Rik]
Never sold one, tried them on two boats and unless the boat was small and light weight the props would not hook up. /QUOTE]

If someone made a "medium duty" prop. Not big and beefy like a speed master but not as flimsy as an outboard cleaver the ASD 6 would be a good candidate for that type of prop? With a little more diameter, 16"-16.5", you may have a prop that could work for those applications?

Matt

Quick Reply: Chopper prop hub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.