Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Nice talking to you Bob. We're all set.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the max's are the best on the fountains. the ones i posted earlier were 14 5/8 x 32. difuser was cut down , diameter cut to 14 3/8, labbed by thining and adding 15 thou cup. this boat picked up 11, yes 11, in the cruise.

these were back to back tested against hydro p5 and p6, 4 bld merc's, herrings.

mercs were had most suitable results.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

monstaa,

Why did you go to 14 3/8? Did you try any other diameters?

We have found that 14 5/8's to be to small.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

reducing the diameter helps reduce the side to side walk, not to be mistaken for chine walk as it is no wheere near as violent, and this is found to be occuring at speeds over 70 mph in offshore and sloppy conditions.

on the more extreme performance end it also allows to run higher prop speed which gives improved bite at speed. with the speedsd these boats are now achieving with stock power, this seems to help out. especially since fountains turn in. also for any boat that turns in.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

my appologee's i keep hitting the 4 instead of the 5 when i type, should read 15 1/4 or 15 3/8
Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

OK,

Now were on the same page. I thought you were a little off the mark.

When we designed the Maximus, we started at 15.25". We ultimately settled where it is today, 15 5/8". The major majority of the Labbed Max's we do are in the 15.25" diameter. Each application varies as does our recipe for the diameter. I wrote the Lab template numbers for the standard Lab a couple months before leaving Mercury Racing. We still use those numbers as a starting point today.

Not all Fountains turn in by the way. And I'm not all that agreeable on the high prop speeds increasing the bite. Diameter is a very important and often misunderstood ingredient.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
OK,

When we designed the Maximus, we started at 15.25". We ultimately settled where it is today, 15 5/8". The major majority of the Labbed Max's we do are in the 15.25" diameter. Each application varies as does our recipe for the diameter. I wrote the Lab template numbers for the standard Lab a couple months before leaving Mercury Racing. We still use those numbers as a starting point today.

Not all Fountains turn in by the way. And I'm not all that agreeable on the high prop speeds increasing the bite. Diameter is a very important and often misunderstood ingredient.

agreed, and you guys helped me dial in many a pair.

prop speed and bite or traction if you will has been my experiences.

rather than turn a 36" 6000, turn a 29" 7400, if you can. i have found this to be pretty helpfull in alot of conditions. not all,, but it works.

in general the attempt to help the consumer is the focus. and never is it to mislead or speak thru smoked glass.

on another topic quickly i may need a set of maxes , 32's. i dont have anymore.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

p.s dont read to far into the bite thing. its more an assesment of the overall performance of the boat. not just slipage or the prop.

and feel free to enlighten me as well. knowledge rules.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
OK,

so how big are stock Bravo's???
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Hey Bob, They are advertised at 15.25" but can vary from just under 15" to just about 15.25"

monstaa, I just don't want people cutting diameter out of their propellers thinking it will improve speed or handling and have the performance fall on its face. The diameter adjustments need to be done in controlled increments. As far as switching from 36's to 29's, most engine builders would have a fit. Granted you are trying to make a point but, you do have to stay within the limitations of the build. Dyno sheets give us a range to prop in order to save the life of the engine. Propellers are the last cog in the transmition. They ultimately control engine rpm. Prop at the bottom of the peak HP curve and you will increase cruise speed. Prop at the top of the max HP curve and obtain accelleration. Both senarios obtaining similar top speed. I think you are insinuating the latter as your preference. Go for the throttle response. You have to know your customer and his goals and habits. OK, let's not give away too many of our secrets. LOL

If you need 32's let us know.

Quick Reply: need prop advise, 42 fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.