New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!! >

New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!!

Notices

New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!!

We are really excited.....this is what we are machining today!

Julie
Attached Thumbnails New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!!-6-lh-5b-take-one.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pricing? 5 blade
Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

We have not extablished a pricing structure thus far, but rest assured they will be competitively priced.

Julie
Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We can use 17 x 37 R&L

Last edited by Dueclaws; 09-11-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

The prop in the machine is a 37P LH. Now as far as pricing we are aware of the retail price you all have been paying and the retail cost of a Mercury CNC #6 is $5800.00 each. Keep in mind guys that these are CNC propellers not hand labbed props.

Right now we are more focused on the R & D Process with the prototypes. We will be running the propeller this month and should be ready to custom build wheels for you guys VERY VERY soon!

Julie
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

My guess (now) is that it's more than 4K.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Hi Julie,

The propeller looks real nice in the photo.

I don't want to cause any discontent but I wonder if I can ask a couple questions? I'm curious too and have been addressing some of these exact questions.

You mention these propellers are CNC'd, not Lab Finished by hand. Are you suggesting you produce them in a machine from a casting and then put then directly into a box. Or do you hand finish and hand buff them as the finishing process?

Also, as with any of your CNC'd propellers, how do you make adjustments to the propeller after the customer runs them? Let's say we need more bow lift or less stern lift than originally suspected. More rpm or less rpm? Can you put them back into the machine and rewrite the program to make the adjustment? (this would be 1000 programs to do what hand manipulating can create) or are the fine adjustments done by hand? Or do you supply a different propeller?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Hi Julie,

The propeller looks real nice in the photo.

I don't want to cause any discontent but I wonder if I can ask a couple questions? I'm curious too and have been addressing some of these exact questions.

You mention these propellers are CNC'd, not Lab Finished by hand. Are you suggesting you produce them in a machine from a casting and then put then directly into a box. Or do you hand finish and hand buff them as the finishing process?

Also, as with any of your CNC'd propellers, how do you make adjustments to the propeller after the customer runs them? Let's say we need more bow lift or less stern lift than originally suspected. More rpm or less rpm? Can you put them back into the machine and rewrite the program to make the adjustment? (this would be 1000 programs to do what hand manipulating can create) or are the fine adjustments done by hand? Or do you supply a different propeller?

Thanks for your time.
Great question!
Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for asking.

Each situation with a customer is different. The goal is for the customer to ultimately have a propeller they are happy with.

Our feeling is working a CNC propeller by hand defeats the concept of a CNC manufactured propeller. When the prop comes out of the machine it is within .002" tolerance. It's not going to get any better. The more it's touched by hand the worse it's going to get.

Yes, these propeller can be run right out of the machine, unlike those of other manufacturers. Some burrs would have to be removed but that's about it. In reality the customer expects a more "finished" product. Therefore certain areas of the prop are touched up by hand. Many area of the props, the critical areas, are untouched, for example the pressure side and cup. Of course the edges are final finished and the propeller has to undergo a light satin finish to remove the discoloration caused by heat treatment.

As far as adjustments go, that depends. If the rpm isn't right we will manufacture a new propeller. We will NEVER repitch one of our propellers. Minor diameter reductions will be done by hand if necessary but that's about it.

The propeller is manufatured with a cup profile we expect will work best for the application it's designed for. We don't make one prop and hand work it for the application.

Is it alot of programming? YOU BET. Do we have programs that have been used once and will never be used again, yes.

Most propellers we manufacture have different programs in one manner or another. Everytime I see something I think can improve the product it's incorporated into the product. Product development never stops.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Thank you for the response. It is well thought out.

I'm not exactlly in agreement as to the statement about working any propeller by hand to fine tune it, is defeating the purpose of CNCing the original casting. To me, taking a more precise starting point and massaging it if needed would make sense. It's art metals.

Who has determined all CNC'd propellers can outperform all Hand Labbed propellers is what I want to know? That would be a pretty ballsy statement.

Anyway, as I was already aware of, CNC'd propellers don't come out of the machine and go into the box. You need to remove tooling marks and buff the propeller. Yes the thicknesses and progression and overall geometry should be better than a investment casting. But, standard castings can be trued to meet the spec.s and needs of most all boaters.

One of the downsides to the CNC'd props is that you can't or won't change pitch or rework them. I totally understand the process of building the propeller to fit the exact needs of the customer, we do that every day. However, situations change as do set ups. The question I asked was can or will you rework a CNC'd TU propeller if it is off just a bit. I guess you answered that question.

I appreciate your cander and I look forward to seeing some of your work. I'm sure you will be very successful in this new endevor.

Quick Reply: New CNC #6 Propellers!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.