Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
B1 Props blowing out - will 5 blades help? Advice please! >

B1 Props blowing out - will 5 blades help? Advice please!

Notices

B1 Props blowing out - will 5 blades help? Advice please!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B1 Props blowing out - will 5 blades help? Advice please!

If a guy had a pair of 26P B1's and wanted to go to 5 Blades, would you stay with the same pitch or do you have to increase or decrease the pitch size? I have a pair of 26P B1's that are labbed and cupped.... they aerate like crazy coming on plane, around 2800-3000 RPM, you hear the motors rev up from the props blowing out and finally catches up with itself as the bow is coming back down. Would a 5 blade help with that? What pitch should I look at in a 5 blade from what I have? maximus or hydro? dia.? Whats the difference?

Brett: These are the props you just did for me 2 weeks ago. Tested this weekend. While the Rpms came down nicely (would like to see them another 200 lower) they actually blow out more easily now than they did before. What now?
Thanks. Mark
Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Somewhat..............nature of the beast venting prior to plane on sport boats in general. You are actually in the majority. With more seat time you will learn the best settings for the personality of your boat. You can always stick the props lower in the water and fix the problem. Then you will go slower but you will be able to jam the throttles and not blow the props out. Boat bottom and X dimention are often more to blame than propellers. Sometimes getting the best top end and low end are not in the boat builders mind.

We can try 5 blades if you wish. Problem is you may lose top end.

Like we discussed, we can still add a small amount of additional cup.

B
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Brett, I appreciate all your time; both on the phone and on here. I can spend more time with it and live with the aerating.... I was just primarily concerned about hurting anything.... the drives, motors, props, etc....

I would like to see about another 150-200 rpm taken out theough to get me mor elike 5250-5300 at WOT.... but I will test more this week and weekend and touch base with you Monday. Thanks again! Mark