Polishing prop hub area,any advice?? >

Polishing prop hub area,any advice??

Notices

Polishing prop hub area,any advice??

Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
We use compounds from Formax as well as others when customers request the mirror finish.

Hi-Polish on blade area hurts performance. It looks great on the trailer during the 4th of July parade but increases slip under certain loads.

Each his own. Thats why we do it when requested.

Brett
Ut ooh! Performance loss??? Whos got a sand paper wheel?????
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you guys wanted the camera moved up, I dont feel so bad now ..... I see a thread by Strip Poker saying "Polishing Prop" .......
and was a bit disappointed to find out it was in the prop talk section talking about polishing a prop ..... Geesh

Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Since you guys wanted the camera moved up, I dont feel so bad now ..... I see a thread by Strip Poker saying "Polishing Prop" .......
and was a bit disappointed to find out it was in the prop talk section talking about polishing a prop ..... Geesh

Im sorry for disappointing you.Ive been polishing on my shaft ,I just cant get it to come out. I need your help to really polish it out,just grab my nuts tight so you put a nice shine on it.

Attached Thumbnails Polishing prop hub area,any advice??-drives-019-large-.jpg  
Attached Images  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Im sorry for disappointing you.Ive been polishing on my shaft ,I just cant get it to come out. I need your help to really polish it out,just grab my nuts tight so you put a nice shine on it.
LOL - Nice.... Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use compounds from Formax as well as others when customers request the mirror finish.

Hi-Polish on blade area hurts performance. It looks great on the trailer during the 4th of July parade but increases slip under certain loads.

Each his own. Thats why we do it when requested.

Brett
I've known this for quite some time, but have never had a clear idea of what kind of finishing step I should use when cleaning a prop up at home (as they get polished by yse or come new that way...). what do you reccomend for props we don't need to send to you? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the labed props iv seen look bead blasted.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

No bead blasting; but rather wet grit rouge on a 18" buff wheel with the touch of a arteeeeeest who has done this for 25 years. That would be my business partner Bob. He has a SWEET final buff.

Racegirl..........Nice to have you on board here on the prop thread. We can use some spice.......................

wtfo, best clean up is to maintain the props throughout the season. If you trailer or put on a lift, rinse with fesh water and spray with light oil. Since this isn't always plauseable, you need to attack them at their own merit or situation. I mean do what you can when you can.

Satin finish will film up compared to HiPolish. HiPolish closes the pores a little more to prevent the iron in the 15-5 stainless from rusting. But, og to the satin for ultimate PERF.

Brett
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No bead blasting; but rather wet grit rouge on a 18" buff wheel with the touch of a arteeeeeest who has done this for 25 years. That would be my business partner Bob. He has a SWEET final buff.

Racegirl..........Nice to have you on board here on the prop thread. We can use some spice.......................

wtfo, best clean up is to maintain the props throughout the season. If you trailer or put on a lift, rinse with fesh water and spray with light oil. Since this isn't always plauseable, you need to attack them at their own merit or situation. I mean do what you can when you can.

Satin finish will film up compared to HiPolish. HiPolish closes the pores a little more to prevent the iron in the 15-5 stainless from rusting. But, og to the satin for ultimate PERF.

Brett
Hi Brett,

Looking at having my props done by Bblades this year, and figured I might as well go with the satin finish since its like free performance. If I rack store my boat that is used in fresh water is rusting of the props a minor concern? Or I should still always hit the props with some WD-40 or similar product? What kind of slip percentage differences or measurable m.p.h. changes have you seen between high polished props to satin finished props in a apples to apples comparison? Thanks in advance for any more info. on this subject.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Satin finish props have consistantly out performed HiPolished propellers. You will see more and more propellers done in the HiPolished relm because that is what folks want. Also, you will see better performance from the new props coming to the market. This is because the geometry changes are..........well better.
Most of these propellers will have a high polish to them. If these props were satin finished correctly....they would be 0 to 1 mph faster. This is the small but true performance gains from slight satin finishing.

B
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife started out polished but she to is getting that satin look over time.