Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
HYDROMOTIVE or bravo1prop wt better??? >

HYDROMOTIVE or bravo1prop wt better???

Notices

HYDROMOTIVE or bravo1prop wt better???

Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my non labbed R/H prop is in great condition other than the blades no longer highly polished. silt, sand, etc

email me @ [email protected]

yours stock also?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried both hdro and B-1 pitch to pitch . Back when I ran my single vee bottom bought a new from B-blades labbed 28 and ran OK but LOST my mid range because when they lab a prop and assure you more top end they do just that by clipping trailing edge ( this will let it spin more RPM ) but at cost of mid cruise . How do I know this ?? Well I had a brand new stock 28 B-1 and spnt some time comparing and making blade templates.

I never liked the old school Hydo Q-4 ( not enough rake ) that is until Q-4 X !!!!! Bought a NEW STOCK NON LABBED HYDRO Q-4 -X and was as fast top end as the labbed b-1 and mid range SMOKED the labbed B-1

This is not a knock on B-blades they were very nice but in the end unless you run 100 % save you money and , do your homework and buy prop with best blade profile for you app

I will do this again in spring and post results for all to see when I prop my 32 Skater .

Last edited by KEVLARKAT32; 09-30-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
I have tried both hdro and B-1 pitch to pitch . Back when I ran my single vee bottom bought a new from B-blades labbed 28 and ran OK but LOST my mid range because when they lab a prop and assure you more top end they do just that by clipping trailing edge ( this will let it spin more RPM ) but at cost of mid cruise . How do I know this ?? Well I had a brand new stock 28 B-1 and spnt some time comparing and making blade templates.

I never liked the old school Hydo Q-4 ( not enough rake ) that is until Q-4 X !!!!! Bought a NEW STOCK NON LABBED HYDRO Q-4 -X and was as fast top end as the labbed b-1 and mid range SMOKED the labbed B-1

This is not a knock on B-blades they were very nice but in the end unless you run 100 % save you money and , do your homework and buy prop with best blade profile for you app

I will do this again in spring and post results for all to see when I prop my 32 Skater .
x2
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

KEVLARCAT32,

I respectfully diagree with your post. We can Lab props to gain or maintain mid range cruise or throttle response or top speed specifically. If you didn't like the mid range effect you could of had us adjust it.
Labbing isn't just clipping the trailing edge. It involves pitch progression, blade area, balance and finish. Also, the trailing edge adjustments are intracate and rairly understood.
Your own advice is sound in that you must adjust the prop specific to your needs and we can only do that with the information you provide.

By the way, the Hydromotive Q4X is a direct copy of the Bravo 1 propeller with a lowered trailing edge cup and a maintained tip cup. Imagine that.............

I have Rarely seen a boat with stock propellers out perform the correctly CNC'd or Labbed propeller in 20 years.

Brett
Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
By the way, the Hydromotive Q4X is a direct copy of the Bravo 1 propeller with a lowered trailing edge cup and a maintained tip cup. Imagine that.............

I have Rarely seen a boat with stock propellers out perform the correctly CNC'd or Labbed propeller in 20 years.

Brett
The Q4X also has a shorter tube, a smaller flare ring, and a smaller diameter than a stock Bravo 1.... all of which induces less stern lift than a stock Bravo 1 prop.

I agree...my boat has definatley been the fastest so far...with a Merc Lab prop, or a Hering.

Chris
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a prop thats traditionally thought of as a "stern lifter" such as a P5 be labbed or modified to have less stern lift and maybe even some bow lift. From what I gather the rake and cup have a lot to do with this and if that can be modified then this should work?
I understand props come setup for a specific role but once labbed and modified I would imagine that anything is possible within reason?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Generally... the more blades...the more stern lift.

But Brett will be able to answer that question the best...

I am sure he is able to take a particular prop and reduce the stern lift.

Chris
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Actually Chris, the Bravo 1 family is smaller in diameter than the Q4X family. Although the B1's are advertised at 15.25" they are actually 14.75" to 15". The only sizes above 15" are the 34 and 36 pitch.

Yes we can modify propellers to react differently than designed. However it makes the most sense to use the correct casting to start the process with. For instance, we could adjust the P5 to look and act similar to the P5X. But, the larger diameter and blade profile of the P5 has its applications. Therefore, starting with the X series might be a better decision. Changing the diameter and cupping and bending the blades into different geometry will definitely change boat attitude in the direction a customer desires. Yes we can create more bow lift on a 5 blade than what the stock casting provides. However we are still dressing the wolf in sheep's clothing. Therefore, it might make more sense to use a 4 blade if bow lift is important issue. Sometimes boat set up including X dimension doesn't allow for 4 blade props to perform well. Then the correct 5 blade casting is the best solution. We love the P5X right out of the box for many applications. However, with only a 15" diameter, certain aggressive set ups don't allow for this propeller to perform. The Maximus 5 blade prop has a starting diameter of 15 5/8". This allows for a more diverse set of recipes. We have customized these props into pleasure and race Labs from 14.5" to 15 5/8" sizes. Also, some propellers simply respond better to Labbing than others

All manufactures make good products. This is why we sell and service Mercury, Hydromotive, Hering, Turbo, Precision, Acme, Stilleto, PowerTech (on request). We also have many of these propellers in our propeller testing program.

Knowing your ultimate goals and wishful desires is the key to the starting process. Then, seat time and testing and reporting true accurate numbers is the next step. Not the best number you have ever seen but rather every day Numbers under normal load and water conditions. Sometimes there is give and take, sometimes we can get it all from planning to top end. Each application must be examined on its own merits. Even identical applications are different.

KEVLARKAT32, I'd be interested to hear your mid range cruise numbers and WOT numbers (rpm vs. speed) with the stock and Labbed props.

Brett