Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Propeller help...so frustrating. >

Propeller help...so frustrating.

Notices

Propeller help...so frustrating.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that RPM's isn't what breaks drives. Torque and more importantly rapid changes in torque (i.e. jumping a wake or throwing the juice to it out of the hole) is what breaks drives. If you prop your engine wrong you may be lugging it which is bad for the engine. You may also prop it to where you're running at the peak of the torque band all of the time. Also bad in my opinion. Once again, a dyno run would be best if you want to get the most out of the rig. Short of that, pick a WOT RPM that you think is right or you're willing to run at and test. Just buying props and trying them is a bad and expensive idea.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Ok guys, I understand what you guys are saying. Keep in mind I have purchased one prop. I am not going through one prop after the other. Several people have made several suggestions, and unfortunately, only a couple or maybe even one can be applied at a time. I need a good baseline given what I ran last year was crap. This is a 20 outlaw that is our family boat, not an MTI looking to run to Cuba in no time. Keep the suggestions coming....
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

If you don't like the outcome with the 23 M+, call us. My partner and I have 30 years experience in the prop world employed Mercury Marine and Mercury Racing and a combined 50 years experience including our staff.

We will save you the guess work and we loan props for $45. We have Mercury, Turbo and Hydromotive props to test for your hull.

Brett
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Default prop follow up

Here is what I got with the 23 M+:

Cruising speed was awesome. I can hold 3000 rpms and obtain about 40mph, when the water isn't an ocean on the lake.

Top end is a whole different story. I am glad I went with the 23 not anything larger. It lowered my rpms to 4800 at wot, which is what I needed. At wot, I am running right at 58 on the GPS, which to be quite honest, is okay, given I only bought the boat for 7500 cash and will be upgrading to a 23+ footer in the next few seasons.

Overall, was looking to get a bit faster at top end, but will take the cruising rpms anyway.

Now, if I had some bad to the bone rig, as most of you guys do, then I would be concerned...I appreciate all of your guys' help on here. Great information led me to get what I am happy with. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 910 Posts

Why only spin at 4800rpms???? Get the prop labbed and spin it up to 5000-5100rpms. You'll pick up a couple mph.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Remember that the Bravo 24" is not a true 24", more like a 22"-23". Is your wot rpm's 5000 now, or is that what you want after dropping a 1000 rpm's off? 4000 rpm's is not much for that engine. The merc 350 and 377 likes to be @ 5000-5100 for wot.

Good luck with the B1. Keep us posted.

I just put a 383 in my 18 donzi with 400+ HP.i HAD A 23P ALSO ran to high in the rpm but fast.So i bought a 25 labbed mirage plus which is great.Brought the rpm down into 5500rpm running high 70to low80.my alpha is a1;50 ratio with a drive shower on it no problems.i have the prop for sale if you are interested.I dont need it anymore for i put on a blackhawk drive and new props.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Did some timing adjustments and ran 67 memorial day weekend on Lake Livingston...23 mirage worked perfectly. Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear things are coming together. Part of the reason the mirage plus reduced your rpms so much was the diameter over your other prop. If you lab the 23 you should get 2 mph and get your rpms more where they need to be. Just remember your cruise rpms will be higher as well. I dont think it will be any harder to get out of the water.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

Yeah, it is a much bigger prop. I have started to fine tune my distributor by finding the sweet spot and found it last week. I realized it was a little advanced and now can get right at 5000 rpms at 67 with the wife going crazy....the 20 loves to chime and is a crazy ride at that speed. I blow out when taking off but man when I get on plane and trim up, it hooks up nicely.

The one thing that gets me on some of these postings, and maybe I am naive to a certain extent, is how someone with a big block cant turn a 23 and up prop and get some decent speed above 75 mph. I understand power to weight ratios and drive ratios....a lot of theoretical contributions in these forums and would love to see some real follow ups, not, "I have this and did 100 mph in a Baja type stuff." A 496 ci in 2 boats that have simar weights and simar hulls and similar drive ratios should realistically run the same with the same prop....????

Last edited by jctexas07; 06-19-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Just a suggestion that has worked for me over the years on quite a few boats...call Bob Teague in Valencia Calif. Bob is a great guy who always has time to help.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.