Adding spacer..Bow lift? >

Adding spacer..Bow lift?

Notices

Adding spacer..Bow lift?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Adding spacer..Bow lift?

My 38 Fever has SSM IV drives. Currently, the nose of the bullet is 1.5" below the hull. Transom notched, no boxes. Everything I have seen so far with the boat, is it likes bow lift. Turning the drives "inwards" gains top end speed. Also, the more positive trim I give it, the speed keeps climbing. I can pretty much trim it to the max on the indicators, and speed never falls off. According to the prop slip calculator, i am around 12-13% slip.

I have run 17x27 Merc 4 blades, 18x28 3 blades, and 16.5x28 5 blades. All merc cleaver props. The 3 blades were the fastest on top end, but hard to plane. The 4 blades and 5 blades were the same top end, but the 5 blades when trimmed out for speed, seemed to make the boat handle poorly at top speed.

I thought of adding a 1" spacer to the drives to bring the props to 2.5" below the bottom, possibly giving me a better bite and more bow lift? While running WOT, in flat water, the water is breaking about where the Fairing/windshield is. Seems like to gain speed Im gonna need to get the nose up and out and get the boat on its "pad". Would spacers be a step in the right direction?