Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Anyone familiar with proping a 28' Eliminator Eagle? >

Anyone familiar with proping a 28' Eliminator Eagle?

Notices

Anyone familiar with proping a 28' Eliminator Eagle?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone familiar with proping a 28' Eliminator Eagle?

Looking to try to gain some more up top. Built 572 (700+ hp according to dyno). XP stepped hull. Teague platunim 1.36 with a b1 28p labbed. Had to keep the tabs about 1/2 one notch down to avoid porpoising and had the trim almost 4 up. We got 80 out of her at 5150-5200 but the original owner had propping documentation of 86-88 with an assortment of props (None specified unfortunately). Just trying to get a feel for any similair setups for possible recommendations as I feel this motor may want to see 5400-5500. I believe limiter chip is 5800. Thanks in advance -Chris
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

Default Update

Talked with Greg at Cutting Edge. He believes he has a good recipe to spank this thing in the @ss. I still have the labbed 28 4blade so heres my thoughts. I have a few more weekends left here in St. Louis to hopefully provide some direct comparisons to the labbed b1. I will go for a same day (and as close as I can to same time for temps, chop, fuel load) trials for those of you currently running a labbed b1 and looking at possibilities for a bit more gain. Should be interesting.

B1 C.E.
Planning (Avg time)
3000 RPM (At Trim X)-
4000 RPM (At Trim X)-
5000 RPM (At Trim X)-
WOT RPM@MPH RPM@MPH

I will also try to note attitude as far as tab adjustments, turning, ect are concerned.

Or hell, maybe a videos worth a thousand words...
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I'll be interested to hear your results.
A few questions, the 28 Bravo 1 you have Labbed was done by who? Is it a standard Lab? Is there a serial number on the prop? What rpm did the original owner see the 86-87 mph at?

Your slip is over 18%. I have seen this many times on these hulls. There are some options but hitting your desired rpm with a 28 pitch propeller and keeping it from slipping a ton is a tall order. Set up on these hulls is critical.

Let us know how it goes.

Brett
Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Yes a standard merc labbed 4 blade. His notes have him anywhere from 5300-5500 depending on the prop. I figured I had some major slip going on. Wasnt sure if it was the formulas or just me. I am eager to post the results aswell. There is probably another 1-2 mph to be had if I can just keep this thing from porpoising and run my tabs up to zero. Hopefully planning gains some also. I will report back. Also, I will look tonight for a serial but dont remember seeing one.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

A standard Merc Lab wont work on your boat.
We can fix it if you desire.

Brett
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris,
Take that video on on your hull/hull break lines! Allways more help with custom design of our propellers, and yes, video is worth a thousand words,,,, We will use this in your tuning of of our propller for your specific hull.
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers

Last edited by ghittner; 10-01-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Sorry college major in me....
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Nice talking with you Chris.
We have done dozens of Eliminator Eagles over the years and they tend to have the same issues.
I hope I helped shed a little light on your Eagle set up.

Brett
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
A standard Merc Lab wont work on your boat.
We can fix it if you desire.

Brett
I believe the biggest problem with this labbed merc is the fact it is over pitched. Saturday the wife and I took it out (Sorry no video) and we discoved the below. 1/2 fuel. More chop on the water but the prop wanted less trim.

First off, with the 3' chop I was able to run the tabs very close to zero. Max trim was only 2-2.5 positive. Anything more lost speed. 82 mph @ 4900. Didnt really try to porpoise this time (maybe the chop or the lower trim angle).

It amazes me the difference with the chop and low weight. I believe my slip % falls between 11-13%. Completely different. Does this make any sense?