Modified 17 spline hub

Notices

Modified 17 spline hub

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified 17 spline hub

I'm looking into finding other prop options for my Bertram Baron project http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...8-project.html . Here is my problem. I'm still using the original Mercruiser II outdrives which have not been produced since 69 or 70 and they have hardly any replacement parts or props to be found. The prop shaft is also a real oddball 1 1/8" shaft with a 17 spline and the ratio is 1.78:1. I currently have a pair of 16" dia 25 pitch stock aluminum props and a pair of 17 pitch stock aluminum props. The 25 pitch is around the proper size prop for the boat. The 17 pitch came with a spare set of outdrives I have for parts. Here is my idea and I'm not sure if it will work. I was looking to remove the hubs from the 17 pitch props as the are pressed into rubber. Than take a standard flow torque hub and machine out the inside so I can press in the 17 spline insert from the old prop. I will probably need to us the HD 1 1/4" hubs as used on the bravo xr outdrives. This would allow me to have an almost unlimited selection of props to choose from as I could just swap the hubs to change props. Has any one ever done this before and is it possible or am I wasting my time? I am open to suggestions.