Need Prop Help!!! >

Need Prop Help!!!

Notices

Need Prop Help!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Need Prop Help!!!

Hello, I have a 2000 Baja 232 with a 502mag mpi in it. Im currently spinning a 25P Mirage plus. I'm running 70 MPH on GPS at 5000RPM. I cant hold it there very long because it gets into a nasty chine walk. I want to try a Bravo1 or Rev4 to get the benefits of the 4blade but dont want to loose my Top Speed. If anything I want to go faster. I have a set of Stainless Marine manifolds coming right now, I'm guessing these will add a few RPM. What Prop is right for me, Anyone play with a 232
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigboss
Hello, I have a 2000 Baja 232 with a 502mag mpi in it. Im currently spinning a 25P Mirage plus. I'm running 70 MPH on GPS at 5000RPM. I cant hold it there very long because it gets into a nasty chine walk. I want to try a Bravo1 or Rev4 to get the benefits of the 4blade but dont want to loose my Top Speed. If anything I want to go faster. I have a set of Stainless Marine manifolds coming right now, I'm guessing these will add a few RPM. What Prop is right for me, Anyone play with a 232
Welcome to OSO.

A question. Do you trim it way up? Too much trim can cause chine walk.

The 25" M+ is actually a very good prop for your boat. If you don't already have it, a place to start with chine walk is to install hydraulic steering or hydraulic assist steering. The sloppy merc steering is a sure way to get chine walk. Also, tabs are a nice addition too. You are running a boat with a 21' running surface at 70 mph. Regarding the prop. Unless you are planning to lab the prop, the Rev4 is the best 4 blade prop out of the box for your boat, hands down. The B1 in stock form lacks bow lift and will raise your transom, which can sometimes cause additional chine walk or prop torque issues. Going from a 3 blade that already runs well speed wise with 11% slip to a 4 blade, will very likely rob some speed. The B1 can be a good all around prop, not faster than the M+, but it will need labbing, the stock 15" diameter is also on the large side of things for your boat. Brett at Bblades are quite good at labbing the M+ props for the Bajas too. The labbed M+ is the way to go for a speed increase and you can discuss with him what he can do to your current prop to settle the boat and increase speed. Again, do yourself a favor and run a steering system that is made for 70+ mph. You don't wanna swap ends at 70+.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I would try a 26P Bravo prop.

My last boat came w/ a 25P Mirage+, scary chine walk!!!!!!

I switched to a bravo, no more chine walk and the speeds where the same.

Steering and tabs would help but will cost $$$$$$
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

I currently can only get my trim to about half way on my gauge which makes my drive perpendicular to my boat. I have trim tabs which I have tried down and up. I find the boat works best with them up unless riding in 3-4`chop. My plan is to send my 25+ to Brett at Bblades and start looking for a Hydraulic steering setup. I was just curious if the 4blade would benefit me without loosing speed. Also can a prop be labbed without adding any RPMs. After my exhaust is on I will be around 5150-5200. Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Ok, I just talked to Bblades and it looks like Im going to be looking for a 28P Bravo1. After my exhaust I will be 5200-5300 which is going to be too high. If I run a 28P bravo1 it should put me to 4800 then I can lab up to 5100. If I can spin the 28P Im sure my boat will be faster on the top end, and I will get the benefits of the 4blade.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Like a few others have already stated, invest in hydraulic steering. Not only is it a big safety improvement, but you'll be suprised how much more accurate your steering will be at all speeds. So if you need to use the wheel to calm the chine walk, you can do it much more accurately and thus with less flailing at the wheel.

The other less known benefit is less wear on your steering components. I can't tell you how many sloppy steering Mercruiser drives I've seen over the years. And most of those folks had no idea they had a problem. On boats with hydraulic steering, no such issues.

I have Latham hydraulic on my outboard and I'd never settle for anything less now.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

man 28 seems like alot of prop for your boat with the power u have....but Brett would know best.

calculate your slip numbers and record the results. try different props till you find the one that you like.

and the chine is ...as everyone else stated....almost a guaranteed side effect of the boat riding high in the water and the stock cable steering.

im still running the stock cable steering on my cat at 85mph......but not for long i hope.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

2tonchevy

I think your right, 28 seems too high. I think he meant to say 26. I'm going to verify tomorrow. I'm also researching hydraulic steering. Sounds like a must!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

ok!

inany case...id let brett and other veterans steer you in this case.

and i too am hoping to do a dual ram add on kit this year....my boat shows no ill characteristics from the existing steering...even at full speed...but i worry about the safety of my passengers.

i have a good friend that ran his 2600 AO with a 555 stroker to 104 gps for three years with nothing but cable steering. lol not a single problem ever.......................
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Remember the 28 B1 is really 27 (and change depending on cup)
Once the exhaust is installed, the rpm level will have to be revisited. Gaining 250-300 rpm from Labbing should put the R's right where you want them with added cruise and top end.

Brett

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.