SCX4 Props

Notices

SCX4 Props

Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SCX4 Props

38 Lightning

Hering's thinking 5blade 17" 37P 20*rake.

Jeff says keep the diameter up because of the larger(than 6) hole in the water the SCX bullet makes in front of it. Sounds reasonable.
Also the rake is loosening up the boat and should let my RPM's come back. Sounds reasonable.

The 16* sucked driving. Massive bowsteer although you'd never know from the vid. The boat went straight and the wheel was "heavy?" but I didn't have to adjust(turn) the wheel much.
The 20* was great driving with a tad bow wander but nothing as ackward feeling as the 16*. The boat went straight and the wheel was "light?" and I had to "drive"(steer) the boat alot.
I'm curious about 18* but they don't have it available for testing. My next choice will have to be made and "bought". I want it to be right for obvious reasons. $$$
Has anybody noticed a difference from 20* to 18*?
Do these descriptive terms sound familiar?
Thanks
Rob
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I still think that it is a guess. And an expensive guess. Did you contact Reggie F.? I remember he offered to help on one of your threads? Who better to give good advice. Did you find any 38's with NSX set ups? The ideal set up with them would likely be the same with the SCX's. I would not order a set until you try a like set and are happy with them unless it's disposable money for you. Make a call for what you'd like to try on the boards.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Registered

All I get is "nobody's done this before".

Anybody have what I'd like to try as a "test set"? Rental?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you tried Albert at Cobra?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say that Hering does not have an 18* set for testing, is that the same as Bblades not having one? Not really sure about the hole theory. It's only the outer 3/4-2/3s of the blade that is working anyway. If you go up to a 17" dia.-18* from what you just tried and liked, both diameter and the lower rake will produce more sternlift. If you go with the 37x17-20* there is still the possibility of fine tuning them. Both in terms of pitch, diameter ect.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I keep thinking I have advertised our test program enough but obviously I have not. Here is a link to it

http://www.bblades.com/pressreleases...essReleaseID=9

I have 28 through 40 inches of pitch in 16 and 18 degrees of diameter for testing. (I'm surprised Jeff didn't tell you this. (In fact I lent him props last week)
It is actually quite amazing as to the amount difference rake makes. Back in the day all props were 15 degrees (actually 14-14.5). We have learned the power of rake angle.
As far as the gear case size, I only feel this to be a efficiency issue as much a handling issue and therefore a non-issue if it tracks well. I do always prefer the largest diameter you can use as long as the transom lift isn't overwhelming.
There are many things we can discuss if you wish to give us a call I'm sure we can help you.

Brett

Last edited by bbladesprops; 03-28-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Until you are 3 inches up from the bottom... I would just run Bravo style props. They make em for 1 7/16 shaft. you find one the works and something happens you can just buy another one. It takes time to get some props made. And w your limited sunshine.. well ya know
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Until you are 3 inches up from the bottom... I would just run Bravo style props. They make em for 1 7/16 shaft. you find one the works and something happens you can just buy another one. It takes time to get some props made. And w your limited sunshine.. well ya know
I didn't know they made those. However, I've busted plenty of Bravo props. I have some dialing to do but I've already achieved what I was after. 100+ and reliability. Hopefully others will post their process and results.