Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
260 Baja stock >

260 Baja stock

Notices

260 Baja stock

Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, i will have to also look that way when I take it out this week to add the new sun pad. cockpit has no foam. The boat has a four holes in cockpit, two I looked at showed no foam...I could drill around the back sides and open them up -and drill inot the stringer and see/feel. The transom looked fine around inner gimbal ring but i heard/read they skimp on the sealing of screws around tabs so i can check that. As for ride, the bow rides nice and handles rough water very good compared to other boats i have had, and i have had junk hulls and my Fountain. I feel it riding the pad correctly. I'm hoping the four blade will not take the bow lift away as one of my mechanics claim. Brett also mentioned it might have bad hook or x dimension off. The previous owner claims it did 55. Yes, sat for 4 years covered with mooring cover...cleaned up nice though. Never owned a Baja, thought they were too "bubble" looking but this model year sparked my interest. Though I miss my Fountian very much.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtile
Ya, i will have to also look that way when I take it out this week to add the new sun pad. cockpit has no foam. The boat has a four holes in cockpit, two I looked at showed no foam...I could drill around the back sides and open them up -and drill inot the stringer and see/feel. The transom looked fine around inner gimbal ring but i heard/read they skimp on the sealing of screws around tabs so i can check that. As for ride, the bow rides nice and handles rough water very good compared to other boats i have had, and i have had junk hulls and my Fountain. I feel it riding the pad correctly. I'm hoping the four blade will not take the bow lift away as one of my mechanics claim. Brett also mentioned it might have bad hook or x dimension off. The previous owner claims it did 55. Yes, sat for 4 years covered with mooring cover...cleaned up nice though. Never owned a Baja, thought they were too "bubble" looking but this model year sparked my interest. Though I miss my Fountian very much.
I have always had a lot of admiration for Reggie and his engineered approach to everything he does.

You know you can't compare the Baja to a Fountain...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

dtile cant wait to hear how this prop works out for you. I sent you pm last week i am having a very similar issue with my 241 liberator in fact its sounds almost the same with ever manor of the issue. I am thinking tring the same prop i have tried a mirage plus 23 and regular mirage 21 both having about 25% slip. the 23 was faster at a lower rpm than the 21 but it should be... got 44 at 3900-4000 with the 23 42 at 4200-4300 with the 21
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Thanks Brett for the info and help..found a Rev 4 unexpectatly and had it labbed locally by an old timer down the street...
fyi
Stock Michigan SS 19 39mph 5200rpm max (slips, needs planing help)
Stock 21 Mirage 43mph 4600rpm max (slips, needs little tabs)
More cupping added 21 Mirage 47mph 4500 rpm max (slips, needs little tab)
Rev 4 21 Stock 48mph 4600rpm max (no slip, nice accel, little bow lift, no tabs needed)
Rev 4 21 Labbed 53mph 4900rpm max (no slip, nice acceland and cruise, bow lift much better, no tabs needed for plane, rpm too high)
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Glad it worked out well.
I'm glad you took my advice..........

Should I send a consulting bill?

Just kidding, LOL, we have people call for advice every day.

Brett
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Glad it worked out well.
I'm glad you took my advice..........

Should I send a consulting bill?

Just kidding, LOL, we have people call for advice every day.

Brett
Options...not advice...they blame YOU on advice.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

In this case the 21 Rev 4 was my advice. What a difference in your numbers from the original!

Your right, if something dosen't work as planned, it's always the propellers fault.

Let us know if we can ever help in the future.
Hope your road to recovery continues.

Brett
Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...Rev 4 @ 21 Labbed...kind of gets me thinking except maybe 23" for my rig. Getting close...we'll see.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Registered

Sorry to come along so late on this thread, but I just found it... The YouTube video link in an earlier post is of my boat... It has a completely stock 7.4 in it, and tops out at 57 MPH (GPS) in relatively flat water... One person in it or six, same top speed... It may take a little longer to get to top speed with more people, but we are talking a very insignificant difference in time.

The prop is an untouched Mirage 21, top speed comes in right around 4800-4850 rpm. The boat handles rougher water with relative ease. In the video, there was about 18"-24" chop... 55 mph in the short distance covered in the video, after a turn... Hope this info helps the OP, albeit a bit late...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered
Commercial Member

Hello,

I calculated your potential speed with a 21" pitch prop at 4600 rpm. With the normal 10-12 % slip usually seen, I've come up with a speed of 52-55 mph. This is far higher than what you are getting currently. Calculating the speed potential based upon boat weight, slip associated with most 26 ft. boas weighing 4500-5000 lbs, and available horse power, I come up with 50-51 mph. Having said that, you are still getting too much slip. There are 3 distinct reasons for the high slip. please feel free to call 330.425-4266 and I will be happy to review these slip possibilities with you.

Most 26 ft. boats with twin 260's and Alpha drives run between 58-62 mph properly set up. 50 mph on GPS is a reasonable target speed for your application.

I look forward to your call.