22 scarab need more mph >

22 scarab need more mph

Notices

22 scarab need more mph

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22 scarab need more mph

Which prop would be good. Right now I am running a 15.50x22 pitch hydromotive. Speeds are 65ish depending on water conditions at 5200-5300 trimmed up some. I would like to not have to trim it much more then where its at. I can move this prop really easy. Motor is a 383 stroker with a 144 weiand blower. Guessing its making 450-475hp. I wanna keep the rpm's around 5-5300 or maybe alil lower. I am gonna try a 3 blade 14.50x24 pitch this weekend but I am thinking a 4 blade 25 maybe 26 would be something I would like. Is that to much?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

It sounds like you've got plenty of Horses, but you should figure out your Torque rating before you go too big all at once. I think you're totally cool with a 24, but I'm pretty new to this so what do I know right? I do have a degree in engineering and have become quite literally Obsessed with all things "OSO". What a great site for a novice to boating like myself. I'm learning quickly, and find that my thoughts on subjects aren't far off from the Pro's on here. I'm at 67 in a Pachanga 22 with a stock 454 Mag and a 23 p Ballistic at 4900 rpms. I think your drive would get one Helluva Workout spinning a 26, what ratio is it?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Registered

1.5 gear in the outdrive. I know a 26 is gonna work it but it would only be me in the boat if I ran it. I always prop the boat accordingly to have much weight will be on the boat.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Registered

I'd stick with a 3 Blade if you're going to jump up to a 26, but if it were me and I had the power you have, I'd spin a 24 4 blade. Or 25 3. If you're just looking for top end.. spin a 26 3 blade. A 4 bl will cost you a couple mph top end but your holeshot would be pretty good. If you were running a 1.36 I'd say go Big all the way. I think you'd be disappointed in a 4 blade any bigger than a 24.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered

Welp, gonna try the 3 blade 24 this weekend. I figured if I ran a 4 blade 25 I would not lose any hole shot and still get decent mph on the big end.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam007
Which prop would be good. Right now I am running a 15.50x22 pitch hydromotive. Speeds are 65ish depending on water conditions at 5200-5300 trimmed up some. I would like to not have to trim it much more then where its at. I can move this prop really easy. Motor is a 383 stroker with a 144 weiand blower. Guessing its making 450-475hp. I wanna keep the rpm's around 5-5300 or maybe alil lower. I am gonna try a 3 blade 14.50x24 pitch this weekend but I am thinking a 4 blade 25 maybe 26 would be something I would like. Is that to much?
What Hydo you running, QIV? If so, not good for natural bow lift requiring more positive trim. What are the boats handling characteristics with that prop?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Try a few props and keep detailed notes on what each does and doesn't do. Then call Brett at Bblades and share the data with him. He'll get you set up!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
What Hydo you running, QIV? If so, not good for natural bow lift requiring more positive trim. What are the boats handling characteristics with that prop?
Yes. Handling is good when trimmed all the way down, but once its trimmed up, the back end seems loose like.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam007
Yes. Handling is good when trimmed all the way down, but once its trimmed up, the back end seems loose like.
Not sure how much experience you have with this boat but one thing you have to keep in mind is the 22 Scarab has a modified delta pad on the bottom and when you reach a certain speed and trim, thats what it is running on and it will have a tendency to feel a little loose. The trick to running fast with those boats is to keep it nicely balanced on the pad. As part of that a prop with a smaller diameter will manhandle the boat less and make it easier to keep balanced. A pointy ear prop like the Q1v also produces neutral lift requiring more positive trim to carry the bow. You would likely be better off with a rounded ear prop like a Mirage Plus or a Laser which will provide more natural bow lift. If you have the HP you think you do you should be able to run signifcantly faster than you are. You might be better served posing your question in the scarab section as there are several guys running 22s that are in there.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
Not sure how much experience you have with this boat but one thing you have to keep in mind is the 22 Scarab has a modified delta pad on the bottom and when you reach a certain speed and trim, thats what it is running on and it will have a tendency to feel a little loose. The trick to running fast with those boats is to keep it nicely balanced on the pad. As part of that a prop with a smaller diameter will manhandle the boat less and make it easier to keep balanced. A pointy ear prop like the Q1v also produces neutral lift requiring more positive trim to carry the bow. You would likely be better off with a rounded ear prop like a Mirage Plus or a Laser which will provide more natural bow lift. If you have the HP you think you do you should be able to run signifcantly faster than you are. You might be better served posing your question in the scarab section as there are several guys running 22s that are in there.
Thank you. I will ask in the scarab section. After looking at the bottom of the boat I always wondered about that pad. Gonna try the 24 rounded ear prop today and see how it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.