Why so many hydro P5's for sale

Notices

Why so many hydro P5's for sale

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many hydro P5's for sale

Does anyone know why I seem to see so many Hydromotive
P5's for sale?? I thought about going this way..on a 312 fastech. 28 bravo's run over rev limiter at 5300 30 Bravo 5100 but seem to have alot of slip.. ANY THOUGHTS
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my own thoughts on the matter. The 5 Blades whether its Hydromotive or Mercury, to work the way they are designed have to be surfacing. Many people buy them to experiment and find in most applications they have too much blade area. The result ususally is, better midrange, and crusing, but a speed loss on the top end. The reason most experiment, is to gain a few mph on the top end not loose.
When you surface props depending on your set up....how high X, how much weight you are pushing, water conditions you run in most times, how much HP you have, its very hard on the blades, and in some applications you end up throwing blades because of metal fatigue. I have been told the blades can flex up to 1/2 inch when going into and out of the water.
I am sure Brett hears a lot more of the talk about them than most since he lets folks trail run props, maybe he will share his thoughts.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

I was thinking of running a 26p p5x on my 28' 96 pantera dynoed @ 653hp and 658fpt, I have a 2" spacer in the drive putting me @ 3.5 below. 3" spacer not mutch better lots of slip 32/33% with a labed 27p 4 blade bravo . Is anyone running a p5x on a pantera or simular boat and what were your results. I tryed to research this on the forums but people stop posting when they get prop and x dimension diled in. somebody out there has to know the right set up. Thank's rod
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by himrod67
I was thinking of running a 26p p5x on my 28' 96 pantera dynoed @ 653hp and 658fpt, I have a 2" spacer in the drive putting me @ 3.5 below. 3" spacer not mutch better lots of slip 32/33% with a labed 27p 4 blade bravo . Is anyone running a p5x on a pantera or simular boat and what were your results. I tryed to research this on the forums but people stop posting when they get prop and x dimension diled in. somebody out there has to know the right set up. Thank's rod
With what you said,, makes me wonder where is the best setting for the drive on a stepped V hull like a formula fastech, ex. running shorties or extending lower into the water.. I would think the more drive you get in the water the greater thr drag.. ex. adding spacers.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Yikes.

Do not compare Mercury propellers with Hydromotive or Hering.

When we desinged the Maximus it was designed to run under the surface and carry the load. Labbing makes it able to run on the surface as well.

Using 5 blades creates all kinds of options.

Brett
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Yikes.

Do not compare Mercury propellers with Hydromotive or Hering.

When we desinged the Maximus it was designed to run under the surface and carry the load. Labbing makes it able to run on the surface as well.

Using 5 blades creates all kinds of options.

Brett
Brett, sounds like with the 5 bladed props the cruise is better but seems everyone loses top end... Is that how you see it? Unless of course you have high HP motors.. Also sound like they can be hard on standard Bravo's..
Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my boat the 30 Bravo 1's pull the same rpm and top speed as my 29 Hydromotives.
Yes both sets of props have been worked.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by himrod67
Yes - Matter of fact, I took off my Labbed 30 Bravo and put on a 27P P5X Five Blade and my Slip Numbers are BAD On both Props... The P5X carries the Boat Nose real nice, but the Top End Performance went out the window... I am running a Bravo XR with a 1" Shortie XR Lower, but have a 1" Spacer on it so that my X-Dimension is what it was when I purchased it. I own the 2005 Pantera 28-Sport with the Keith Eckert ( KE675 ) Motor Package and the American Flag Paint Scheme. I have run a Bravo 28 Non Labbed, Bravo 30 Labbed and the Hydromotive P5X and it seems that my Bravo 28 Non Labbed works the best... The only problem with the 28 was that my Slip Numbers were high and I seem to turn to many RPM's... I have also tried a 1" Shortie, even though Pantera says dont do it... I put the 1" Space in so that I would be back to my same old starting point and I would continue this process...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

5 blade props will tend to lose top speed with 4blade slip % in the 15% or less. In the 15% or more slip range you may gain top speed. When you get into the 20% range you will gain top speed most of the time with 5 blade props.

Drive failures from 5 blade props tend to be from a bunch of excess HP and driving techniques. 5 blade props actually have better harmonics on the drive train than 3 or 4 blade props.

Hydromotive P5X and the Turbo OXP are great out of the box and respond less to Labbing. The Maximus loves to be Labbed and is a large canvas to work with.

Brett
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered

I picked up speed with a 5 blade hering. Not sure if it's what I will settle on, still working on drive height and possibly different gears.

30P 4 blade 82
32P 4 blade 84
29P 5 blade 87

Same day, same conditions 28' Nordic Heat-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.